12 | I want you

"You lied." I look accusingly at Rachel but I'm melting inside. She's gorgeous.

Her hands are adjusting the bow tie around my neck, her nimble fingers pulling it together.

"The escape room was only meant to butter me up for this," I deduce. 

Was the kiss for that end too? Did she want me to be weak in the knees for what we were about to do?

Potentially.

Shrewd, calculating and fucking relentless was my Rachel. She would do whatever was necessary to get the job done, and I could never let myself forget that. I would always come second to whatever agenda she was pursuing. That's why these feelings – this feeling of lust that was overpowering my brain – had to be reigned in before I fully lost control.

Because if Rachel ever slept with me, it wouldn't be because she liked me, it would be because she had seen some way that it would benefit the company.

"What an odd thing to suggest," Rachel replies, a smile twitching at the corners of her mouth, and I can tell from that alone that it's not odd, or even outrageous – it means I'm fucking right.

My heart drops and it feels like I've been trodden on by a herd of elephants. For the first time in my life, I wish I wasn't right.

"There," Rachel says, her eyes on my bow tie, as she gives it one last pat. Her hand lingers on my neck before she pulls away. 

She looks stunning in a strapless white dress that flares out at the bottom. My eyes drag down her body, soaking in the sight of her. I can't believe I'm married to her.

"We're ready," she tells the wedding photographer, Andy. He's a wiry man with greying hair.

"Excellent." He leads us out of the clubhouse. We're instructed to walk along the edge of the cliff as the wind whips around us. The ocean is like a bejewelled beast, undulating and glimmering as far as the eye can see. It's spectacular.

"I want you to walk together, holding hands, smiling at each other."

I reach my hand out and Rachel intertwines her fingers with mine as if they were always meant to be there. My chest rises in a quick inhalation of breath, as my arousal levels spike at the touch of her hand. I tug her slightly closer to me and we walk in sync up the cliff.

"You're in love! Smile at each other," the photographer reminds us from somewhere behind us.

I look across at Rachel, forcing a smile. "This isn't contrived at all." 

Rachel looks confident as always, a much more relaxed and dreamier smile on her face. "People see what they want to see."

"Are they seeing us eloping?" I ask. We married hastily and had a courthouse ceremony, there were no convincing photographs from that day that this was a love match.

My shoes sink into the spongy golf course grass as each step brings us closer to the top of the cliff. Luckily, there's no one playing golf this late. It's golden hour, the perfect time to take photographs.

Beside me, Rachel doesn't look golden, she looks like every filthy, romantic dream I've ever had come to life. The sweet curves of her breasts are evident in her figure-hugging dress.

Rachel's eyes linger on my mouth. "They're seeing us in love."

Fuck, I want her so bad. Did I even care if I was getting used at this point? I hungered for this woman, yearned her with an intensity that I lacked in other areas of my life. I had only ever pursued my career with this kind of single-minded intensity; never another person, never a woman.

"More smiling. Laughter would be better," Andy tells us.

"Does he expect us to laugh on cue?" I ask Rachel sceptically.

"I think so," she answers.

"Go on, laugh," I goad Rachel. "I want to see this."

She rolls her eyes but does laugh on cue. I'm impressed by how normal it sounded. However, I can tell that it was staged after spending so much time together and hearing her genuine laughter.

"That was pretty good."

"Your turn," Rachel says with a smile.

I attempt to laugh and it comes out like a cat being strangled, and then coughing up a furball. 

I continue walking, wanting to erase that sound from both of our memories, but Rachel's hand tugs on mine. She has stopped, bending over and laughing. It's her genuine laughter this time, and the sound sends a rush of warmth through me. I can't help laughing alongside her. 

When she stands up, I pull her into my arms until her hips are aligned with mine. I'm vaguely aware of the sounds of camera shuttering behind us.

I cup her face with both hands. "You will never tell another soul what just happened."

Rachel giggles, her body vibrating against mine. "No way, I am one hundred per cent telling Lucy about this when I get back."

I growl, and unable to help myself from wanting a taste, my lips touch hers, swallowing her laughter. Her kiss is passionate, fiery. I'm lost in the way her body slides closer to mine, rubbing, wanting, restless. The silkiness of her dress makes me want to tear the fabric away from her like some beast.

As I draw away, looking into her limitless hazel eyes, I know I'm a goner. There's nothing I wouldn't do for this woman, and she doesn't even know it.

"I want you," I admit softly.

Rachel nods, her eyes moving over my face. "I want you too."

"Perfect," Andy says from way closer than I expected, and we're jolted out of the moment. "I think that's the shot!"

He steps closer to us, and Rachel and I break apart to see the photographs he's taken. It's picturesque, the vibrant green beneath our feet, the endless ocean stretching out behind us, the wind playing with Rachel's thick hair and our clothes. We look windswept, overcome by emotion, in love.

"That's us," Rachel comments, a note of wistfulness in her voice. A tinge of surprise and sadness. Is it just me or am I imagining the longing there too?

"You're a beautiful couple," Andy responds, grinning.

Rachel is right, people see what they want to see.

"I have enough now if you would like me to edit them and send them to you tonight," he's telling Rachel.

"Yes, that will be brilliant," she's answering with her winsome smile. There's a level of intimacy in understanding the nuances of her expressions – it's a privilege.

I feel so close to her and simultaneously, so far apart.

Rachel steps toward me, taking my hand again, this time unprompted by the need for a shot. The same answering rush flares through my body, the urge to pull her closer. Rachel looks up, an honest, relieved smile curving her mouth. "Let's go home." 

💍

a/n: Thanks for reading! There'll be another update within 24 hours, I'm just too excited lol. I'd be so grateful for any feedback you have so feel free to vote and comment your thoughts.