21 | just Jon and Rachel

Six months later

I step out of the ocean, water dripping down my torso, and drag a hand through my wet hair to push it off my face. 

The sun is just starting to set. It is truly a magnificent sight to hold.

I walk toward where I left my towel, traversing over grey pebbles, and I frown as I reach the spot where I left it. 

It's no longer there.

"Looking for this?" A familiar voice to my left says.

Rachel.

My brain takes a second to register that she's here in Nice, barefoot and wearing a cute, light summery dress. The breeze outlines her silhouette. She's so goddamn beautiful.

And she's holding my towel in one hand.

"Now this is my kind of view," she says as I step closer, still dripping. "I mean, not that the sunset isn't great and all." She waves her hand toward me. "But this. Damn."

An unexpected laugh is drawn from me.

"Can I have my towel now?" I ask. The colder air is starting to get to me.

Instead of handing it over she narrows her eyes.

"Please?" I add.

With a sweet smile, she hands it to me. I towel off before wrapping it around my waist. She continues to watch me, unfazed. Once my towel is secure, I run a hand through my still wet hair. "What are you doing here Rach?"

She dodges my question. "You're a lot harder to find than you would think. You really went off the grid. And you don't even use Instagram. It's a miracle I found you."

"Rach," I say her name with a sigh. She's still hasn't answered my question as if we haven't spent six months in radio silence. As if we never divorced.

"Did something happen to the company?"

"You mean the company you 'gifted' all to me?" There's a hint of irritation in her tone. "No, it's finally running smoothly. I did hire someone else, otherwise, I would never have been able to come here. To find you."

"I'm glad," I respond, and I am. That company is a mammoth to take on all by yourself, I feel a surge of guilt, but I knew that Rachel was more than capable to handle the pressure head on. "And you wanted to find me because...?"

"I miss you," she reveals softly. "I miss our chats over dinner, I miss your cooking, I miss your husky laughs late at night, I miss the feeling of your sweaty body moving over mine."

I smile at that.

"I miss you too." I hesitate. "But we divorced because you no longer wanted this."

The sounds of waves breaking fills the space between us. Her eyes travel over my face, before her expression steels with determination.

"I've always wanted this – you – I've just been holding back. Every time you told me you loved me, I ached to give you those words in return. You're so brave." She takes a deep breath. "And I've always tried to be strong, but by denying myself from loving you, I was being weak. Because I was doing it out of fear."

She steps closer to me.

"I'm done denying myself something so right. There are no guarantees in life, we both understand that first-hand. But I don't want to waste another second that I could spend with you. I won't let fear define my life any longer." Her eyes flutter closed as she inhales, breathing in the salty, fresh sea air. Her eyes open, hazel eyes holding me spellbound.