11 | it's a tight fit

"An escape room? Don't you think we've spent enough time trapped in a room looking for clues?" Rachel asks as I hand the money over to the young woman on the other side of the counter.

I think about it. "Nah," I reply with a grin.

We listen as she gives us instructions and points out the monitor where she can see us if we need help with the clues. Then she leads us down a hallway to the room.

"I think you'll be the best partner I've ever had," I tell Rachel, rubbing my hands together in anticipation of the challenge that awaits us.

Rachel looks across at me. "How many partners have you had?"

"Mainly Derrick and a couple of mates, but you're much more competitive."

Rachel rolls her eyes. "I thought you were going to say smarter."

I bend slightly to whisper in her ear, "That too, but don't tell Derrick. He won't go on one of these things with me ever again."

She leans toward me in return, a smile glimmering on her mouth. "The travesty." There's a note of teasing in her voice.

The young woman leads us to an open door. Which I realise isn't a door but a small tunnel we have to crawl into.

"I'm glad I dressed up for this," Rachel says wryly, hiking up her form-fitting blush coloured dress and revealing a tantalising amount of thigh. 

Then she's on her knees, those maddening heels still on. And I'm flashed with a vision of her wearing those high heels as I drive into her from behind. The wave of lust runs through my frame and by the time I've adjusted back to reality, Rachel's disappeared. 

"What are you waiting for?" her voice is tinny through the hole.

"I'm coming," I answer, voice hoarse and throaty.

If only.

I get onto my knees and crawl through the hole, marvelling how Rachel did this in a tight dress and high heels. The young woman shuts the trapdoor behind me, sealing us in darkness.

"Rachel?" I call out.

"Not that much farther," her voice is ahead of me. "We're in some sort of cube."

I understand a moment later when I bowl into her, almost steamrolling her. I get a face full of her dark hair, her frangipani and vanilla bean scent surrounding me. Her laughter echoes around the small space. I'm too busy breathing in deep - she smells divine.

Her hands are on my chest. "Yeah, it's a tight fit."

I understand what she means when she doesn't move away because she physically can't. There are four walls enclosing us, and I hear another whir as the door I just crawled through snaps shut.

"Well," I say finally. "I'm glad we're not claustrophobic."

"She said we needed to look for a key." Rachel is shifting around in my arms, she's practically grinding on my lap and I'm doubly glad that I chose Rachel for this and not Derrick. 

But as my body starts to respond - and I force myself to think about mathematical equations, and the laundry I need to do - I wonder if it would have been better if it had been Derrick after all. 

At least now I understand why this escape room was recommended for couples.

"Are you just going to sit there?" Rachel asks. "We need to work together if we want to get the best time."

What did I say – competitive.

I grin in the dark. "Yes, mam."

My hands move over the opposite walls to Rachel, running across the ground, one of my hands goes under Rachel's butt, lifting her up slightly.