epilogue

Three years later

"How did you convince me to do this?" I peer sceptically into the dark water as I pull on my scuba gear. The weight of my oxygen tank on my back is as heavy as my conscience.

"Because you love me," Rachel says simply, moving toward me on the rocking boat. At the last moment, the boat pitches and she almost topples over the side, and I reach out a hand to steady her, but her hand is already on my chest, steadying herself.

A rush of warmth fills my stomach and the back of my throat tightens with emotion. She's everything I've ever wanted.

Increasingly in the past few years together, she's leaned on me, accepted the help I can provide. Accepted that it's all out of love for her.

I love that I'm the one she wakes up in the middle of the night to make love to.

I'm one lucky bastard.

"And..." Rachel draws out slowly. "On our first honeymoon, you said you wouldn't mind doing it if we were together." She smiles brightly up at me. "And now we're together."

I can't stop the rueful grin that tugs at the corners of my lips. "Did I say that?"

She nods, cool and calm. Unruffled by what we're about to do.

"If I die..." I start, swallowing and glancing back toward the dark depths of the ocean.

"You won't die," Rachel says matter-of-factly. "If any of the sharks come at you, I'll protect you."

Well, I can't argue with that logic.

"Are you ready?" she asks, she's grinning in anticipation and she goes to move away.

I pull her back to me, my hands landing on her waist covered by the thick skin of the wetsuit. There are goggles on her forehead, and her black hair is already wet from when she dived in the water earlier, it's sticking to her face in places. 

The knowing, trusting look in her eye is the same look she had in her eye as she walked down the aisle to me two days ago. My eyes had glistened with tears as soon as I saw her; I'd never seen a more arresting sight. Then her vows had undone me.

"I love your compassion, your understanding. How you always have time to listen to me. You're effortlessly kind to others and you have the biggest heart of anyone I've ever known. 

"Most of all, I love that you've taught me how to love completely, irrevocably and with my whole heart. You're it for me, Jon Lawson."

Thinking about that moment calms my racing heart. "You're it for me, Rachel Silva."

Rachel grins. 

She decided not to change her name this time around. She said it was insufferable that I thought I owned her when she had changed her name the first time. And, now that we both own and run our father's company Lawson & Silva, it sounds better when there actually is a Silva still working there. As always, Rachel has the company's interests at heart.

"But couldn't you have picked a ship wreckage instead of a dive with sharks?" I tease her.

She laughs, then curls her hand around the back of my neck, pressing our bodies closer together. Even though there are layers of tight wetsuit between us, tingles rush to my toes, and I feel her touch deeper, reverberating in my soul.

"This reminds me of our first honeymoon when I was convinced you were trying to kill me off."

She snorts. And rolls her eyes. "The absurd things you think up when left to your own devices."

"Yeah." I grin. "Do you know the most absurd thing I thought up when I was alone?"

"What?" Rachel asks. "Was it that weird erotic dream you had about being a plant and I was stroking one of your leaves?"

Now it's my turn to be taken aback. "What no? And why did you have to bring that up now? That's so embarrassing."

"Sorry," Rachel says, a smile on her lips. She's not sorry at all.

"Go on." Her fingers curl in my hair, and blissful pulses of pleasure radiate out from her touch.

"The most absurd thing I thought up was this. Us. Being married to the woman of my dreams. For no ulterior reason but love."

Rachel looks down at our feet before her gaze meets mine again. She's blushing. Hard. "Ahhh why do you have to be so smushy? And romantic? Why didn't I marry a cold-hearted, unemotional, alpha male? Is it too late to get a refund?"

I pretend to be insulted. But the way she's softening and leaning into me undermines her words.

"No refunds," I say firmly. "Sweetheart, we both know this time is forever."

"I know," Rachel smiles, and she leans forward to press her lips to mine, her goggles squishing uncomfortably against my forehead. But I still pull her closer, relishing this moment. I taste salt and excitement on her lips.

When she pulls back, she's still smiling that soft, open, irresistible smile, just for me. "I love you."

She says it as easily as breathing in her next breath. And a wave of pleasure rushes through me at how far our relationship has come. How effortless it is for her to admit her love for me. Even if she sometimes still struggles when I admit my own for her.

She shakes her head at me and pulls away. "Enough stalling. Let's get in."

She steps forward off the back of the boat, splashing me slightly in the process, when she resurfaces, she waves me toward her. "Come on hubby."

I grin, taking in this moment. I always feel most alive when I'm with Rachel.

I take a moment to adjust my goggles, bracing myself for what we're about to do. Then I turn around and back roll into the water, holding my mask and regulator, with my left hand on the gauges. I swim to where Rachel is waiting. It's pretty convenient to have your wife being a certified diving instructor. It's great value for money.

And quality bonding time. Just us beneath the surface of the water. And the sharks. My gut tightens with the thought, but having Rachel confident and self-assured beside me makes me feel safe. It makes me feel like I could take on the world.

"You ready?" she asks, her attention is solely focused on me. I know she would let me back out of this if I needed to, no judgement. It's one of the things I love about her. In the end, she cares most about how I'm feeling, rather than what I'm doing.

I nod. "I am now."

We dive in deep.

THE END

💍

a/n: Thank you, dear reader, for reading and finishing the last chapter of Silva and the Stars! I'd be so grateful for any feedback you have so feel free to vote and comment your thoughts. 

This feels like a long, fast, dramatic, sad, happy ride! Originally, this story was going to be a chapter about a couple's honeymoon in my one-shots Oceans. But then I realised there was so much more to Jon and Rachel - as well as wayyyyy more sexiness haha.

I'm so glad I didn't try and shorten their story.

I feel so lucky to have such kind, dedicated readers who continued to vote and let me know their thoughts each week. I can't even articulate how much that means to me - but thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

It fills me with so much joy that people connect and engage with what I write - thank you for being one of those people. Much love! 

- Jessica