Chapter 14

Lucca arrived back to his office two hours later to find a secretary from downstairs at Eve’s desk, being told she had left in a rush almost two hours ago and needed someone to replace her for the rest of the day, not saying where she was off to. Lucca was worried; he knew this wasn’t like his wife at all. He checked his phone to make sure he hadn’t missed a call from her.

Closing the door to his office behind him he took a seat behind his desk and tried to call Eve, only to have her answer phone pick up straight away, her phone was off. Something was wrong; Lucca knew she never turned her phone off.

“Hey Baby, I just wanted to know where you had run off to? I am starting to get worried; can you call me back and let me know you are ok please? I love you” Lucca decided to leave a message; if he didn’t hear back in an hour then he would really start to panic.

An hour passed and still Lucca hadn’t heard from Eve, he had not been able to focus on work at all so he decided the best thing to do was head home and hopefully find her there taking a nap or something that made perfect sense.

The drive home felt like a life time and when he stepped inside Lucca knew something definitely wasn’t right. Racing up the stairs towards the bedroom they shared he found the bed empty except for a piece of paper lying in the middle, standing out on the black duvet cover like a beam of light was shining down on it.

Lucca approached the paper like it was suddenly going to bite his hand when he reached for it, slowly opening it his stomach dropped, he couldn’t believe what he was reading.

Lucca,

I am sorry for leaving this way but if I had stayed and had to look you in the eyes then I know I wouldn’t have left.

I want a divorce; we can wait until after the baby is born so that you don’t need to worry about anyone calling him a ‘bastard’. We can also sort out visitation then too.

I can’t be the reason that you cannot be with the person you really love all the time, can’t make you fake being in love with me, it’s not fair to either of us.

Will be in contact closer to the time I deliver our jelly bean.

You may not believe me but I do hope that she makes you happy.

-Eve.

Lucca felt his knees give way, she had left?! What had brought this on?! He had to find her, except he had no idea where he should start.

Pulling his phone from his pocket he dialled Sam, tapping his fingers on the top of his bedside table while waiting impatiently for him to answer the phone.

“Sam McAllister speaking”

“Sam its Lucca, have you seen or heard from Eve?”

“What do you mean? Has something happened to her? I haven’t heard from her in a few days. What the hell is going on Lucca?” Sam was practically yelling down the phone.

“She’s left me Sam, I don’t know why and I don’t know where she has gone, she gave up her apartment when we got married and she never goes to visit anyone so I don’t know any of her friends”

“Well you better find her because if something has happened to her, you can be sure I will be after your head on a stick. I will try to call her but if I get a hold of her and she doesn’t want you knowing then I won’t be sharing that ok? Maybe you should have a good think on what you have done to cause her to leave you because I know she is head over heels for you and wouldn’t leave for no reason” With that Sam hung up before Lucca could respond.