Chapter 6 - Dropbears

Percy POV

The thing in the clearing was a giant skeleton. And when I say giant I don't mean extra-large-person type giant, I mean giant as in its leg was as long as one of the trees. I suppose It would have been more intimidating if it was sanding up, but even sitting down it was well over three times my height. My demigod height tat is, not my primordial height. I didn't know how or why it was making the bell noise, it just was. It looked over at me and I could see the hunger in its eye sockets, the same sort of hunger that Tantalus had. It lunged at me and I uncapped riptide.

It grabbed me and it tried to bite my head off as I slashed through its body. It did bite my head off, which isn't something I would recommend trying. Somehow I knew that I had killed it, sending four spirits spiralling away to Hades, or so I hoped. I collapsed, I suppose from the sheer novelty of getting my head cut off. It collapsed as well, just a pile of harmless bones with nothing to animate them. Well, harmless except for the fact that I was very nearly squashed by a femur bone.

I sensed Thea trotting skittishly into the clearing, and her surprise when she saw the giant bones and even greater surprise when she saw me with my head bitten off. I guessed that I hadn't died yet because I was a primordial, but I still felt a little drained of energy. Thea came over and helped me up. She steadied me as we walked back to the house, and if she heard or saw anything strange she didn't say. Or maybe I didn't hear. I wished that I still had my head, it would have made walking a lot easier. Just then, swirling cloud appeared and formed the shape of a head. I fell against Thea, but regained my footing pretty quickly. I could now walk like normal. I looked around at the trees and far off in the distance I thought I saw a flash of red. I walked faster after that.

Something dropped down in front of me. It was a koala, but with long, sharp claws and sharp teeth. It growled at me and I stepped over it. I started to run, with Thea charging ahead. More koalas dropped around me, and some landed on top of me. I pushed them off and kept running. I ran out of the forest and the last koala dropped off. I opened the door, letting Thea and myself in, and slammed it closed. I collapsed on my bed, wondering for a moment why my chest wasn't heaving. I sat up and looked out the window. The koala that had fallen off last was climbing a tree on the edge of the forest, glaring at me with red eyes. I turned to Thea and felt like laughing. So much for dropbears being a myth.

After checking outside multiple times I walked out of my door. I told Thea that she could leave the house at any time, but I just wanted to be alone for a bit. There were no dropbears in sight, and there was no flash of red either. I walked around randomly for a bit before deciding to head for Olympus. I teleported to the Empire State building, shocking a crowd of mortals. They didn't look confused like they normally did under the influence of the Mist, in fact they looked angry at me. I ducked inside before they could shout at me. I guessed that they must have been clear sighted, but it was still strange. I walked over to the desk and after a bit of convincing I got the key card for the elevator.

I went up to Olympus, changing into my swirling cloud form, and walked through it. The minor gods that I passed eyed me suspiciously, although that would be expected seeing as I was just a cloud person walking past. I went up to the Olympian throne room and heard shouting. I poked my head inside to see a more violent council than normal. I pulled my head out and decided that now may not have been the best of times to confront the Olympians, especially as Zeus looked ready to start firing his masterbolt. I went up to the nearest minor god and asked what was wrong. He looked at me suspiciously before replying.

"Hecate was attacked by something. She was severely injured, and the Mist is gone. Mortals can see stuff for how it is, and the Olympians are arguing about closing Olympus off from the mortal world to stop the gods from being discovered. If you want to leave before they close us off, I suggest you leave now. I think that they've almost decided."

He cast a look at the throne room behind him before hurrying off. I now knew why the mortals had noticed my teleporting, and knew that I would have to be extra careful when it came to fighting monsters. There was a growl and a hellhound stalked around the corner. The street emptied of mortals as they saw it. I pulled out riptide and uncapped it, but before I could hit it it was hit by a rock. There was a kid standing near a pile of rocks, and he was getting ready to throw another. I quickly killed the hellhound and teleported to Tartarus. I wanted to question Chaos about the Ahuizotl, the skeleton and the red thing, and I sure as hades was going to get answers.

There we go, two chapters in one day, I'm on a roll. Can any of you name the giant skeleton? It, like all the other monsters I'm adding in, is part of the mythology world. You can think of this chapter as another sorry for not updating chapter, because I won't be updating this quickly again unless I have a reason to write faster than usual. Vote, comment, and smile!