God I Hate The Damn Mole People

~~~~~~~~~~Arbor~~~~~~~~~~

"And don't even think about trying anything," he commented jovially as we walked down the silent hallway, "The collar can't be removed by anyone but me, and the remote would be useless to you."

I just grunted, not wanting to get shocked again. The pain had been sharp and all consuming, nothing like the dulled pain I got from minor wounds after my shots of Laura's flower. The effects had worn off, but after the medicine I had been given last night, I had been feeling a lot better. Until Dan had pressed that button.

He stopped me right at the bottom of the ladder, spinning me to face him. "I really didn't want to have to use it on a simple human," the look in his eyes was thinly veiled contempt, "but you left me no choice."

With that, he shoved me up the ladder, both of us emerging into the warmly lit space, filled with the others sitting close together beside one of the back couches, muttering words I couldn't quite hear. They all spun as we stood, Dan keeping a firm grip on my arm.

Cleo looked us up and down, eyes stopping on my newest wardrobe addition. She was no longer clad in her ripped up pink dress, I noted. Today, she was in a simple white T-shirt and jeans, accentuating her rippling tattoos. A disapproving look spread across her face. "Really, Dan?" she walked up to me, running her fingers across the thin metal, fingers brushing my throat. I didn't move, looking pointedly past her shoulder. "The demon collar?" she exclaimed, pushing her sharp nails into my skin for just a second, "On a human?"

"The what now?" The words slipped through my lips before I could even think them through.

"He's under control now," Dan said pointedly, letting go of my arm. I glanced longingly at the doors in the back of the van, but I stayed put firmly where I was. Cleo just looked on skeptically.

Jerry stepped forward from behind Bella, looking pissed as usual. "It doesn't matter how he did it, the kid isn't trying to escape anymore. Now everyone shut their traps and listen up! We've got three days until the end of the world, and if the Belzar get the Morla, we're screwed, the whole universe is screwed! So all of you sit down, shut up, and listen to the plan!"

Jerry walked to the back of the van, turning to face us as he stood in front of the closed doors. Bella and Johnny sat on the purple couch in the back, Cleo took the one to the left, and Dan grabbed my arm once again and dragged me to the couch on the right. He sat down leisurely, but as soon as I moved to sit next to him he smirked, wordlessly pointing to the ground by his legs.

I shot him a wordless glare, channeling all the anger I felt at him wanting me to sit on the floor when there was an open seat right next to him. Three, in fact, if you counted the armrests! We retainied intense eye contact for a few seconds, but as soon as his hand twitched towards his pocket, I swallowed my pride and took a seat at the floor by his feet. Fucking alien bitch.

"Now then!" Jerry clapped his hands, not acknowledging our little test of wills, "The plan! Step one, we have to summon Zarglath, you all know him." A chorus of groans rang up from Cleo, Johnny, and Bella.

"I know, I know, he's absolutely insufferable, but we need answers, and he's the only one in the universe who can give them to us. Bella and Johnny, you two are going to nab a human for the sacrifice since we can't use the kid," he stated, pulling out a little notepad from the black satchel I recognized from our first adventure in the woods, flipping through it quickly.

I flinched, glancing up at Dan. Sacrifice? I mouthed questioningly. He simply nodded, turning his attention back to the dwarf standing at the back of the van.