The Past Sucks, The Present Sucks, And Guess What! The Future Probably Will Too!

~~~~~~~~~~Arbor~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't even want to think about what any of this could mean as the room erupted around me, everyone yelling over each other. That was my specialty, avoiding my problems.

Everything was coming back, clearer and clearer, and I was just trying to hold onto what was left of the person I had thought I was.

My parents.

When I was young, 4 or 5, I had been upstairs playing in my room, when I heard noises and screams from downstairs. My parents had always told me to hide if anyone I didn't know came into the house, and I noticed big, black trucks outside, so I clambered into the secret room behind my closet.

I heard big boots clamber through my room, looking at the black legs walk past the little hole in the door, and waited for what felt like hours after all the noises had left.

When I left the closet, my room was trashed, toys scattered, bed flipped, blankets ripped, and when I went downstairs, my parents were dead.

~~~~~~~~~~

I knew that Bella knew just by looking at her. She had gone through my head, and she was connecting the dots.

I was the Morla.

Even if I wasn't exactly sure what that meant for me.

"Arbor," Bella said, trying to be gentle. But I could see the frantic energy behind her eyes, the energy of a long search ending right before her electric eyes. "What happened when you were a kid?"

I went through the story slowly and quietly, pausing every once in a while to take deep breaths.

For a second after I finished, everyone sat in silence.

"So what you're saying," Jerry started off slowly, feeling the words as he spoke them, "is that they found you once before, but never found you again." His expression was doubtful.

"After that, I was just another kid in the system. I tried so hard to forget," I muttered, feeling pain lace through my chest.

Dan looked at me for just a second, quickly looking away. I couldn't be pulled back into his games. Any train of thought I might have had was cut off by Cleo's jaunty voice.

She grinned, rubbing the tattoos flowing across her arms, letting out a "Man, this kid really does have 9 li-" The doors in the back of the van slammed open, crunching against the wall and throwing everything to the walls, shattering and smashing and sending fragments of cabinets flying.

Several Belzar stormed in, clad in a thick armor I didn't recognize, followed by a lady with a heavy scar running across her face, sword in hand. She wore a gold uniform that I didn't have time to scrutinize further as my body took over, throwing myself behind one of the couches as everyone else jumped up to fight.

I squinted my eyes shut as the van shook with the force of fire and ice, listening to the yells and screams of the aliens around me.

"You can't win this fight!" An aggressive female voice screamed over the fighting, "There are hundreds more of us outside. Surrender!"

"Never!" Cleo screamed. I cracked my eyes open, peeking around the edge of the couch to watch her launch at one of the Belzar, dress flowing behind her, knives out.

With one swipe, the Belzar knocked her to the floor. She wasn't moving to get up.

"No!" Bella screamed, pulling a handful of salt from her pocket and throwing it at the same Belzar, but it just bounced off his armor and fell to the floor.