Chapter 4.5: The Dragon's Call (All Parts)

"No young man or young women, no matter how great, can know their destiny. They cannot glimpse their part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, they must live and learn. And so it will be for the young warlock and young witch arriving at the gates of Camelot. A boy and girl that will, in time, parent a legend. Their names: Merlin and Evangelina."

__________________________________________________________________________

(Evangelina's POV)

My brother, Merlin, and I have been traveling for about 3 days. Mother had sent him and me to stay with a family friend, Gaius. He is the court physician in Camelot so that's where we're headed. We soon arrive at the large front gates and with my excitement taking hold I rush in.

"Eva! Wait up!" I hear my brother yell as he runs to catch up to me. I giggle before coming to a stop. We find ourselves among a crowd of people. "What's going on?" Merlin asked looking around.

"I don't know" I look around and a man is being forced on stage by 2 guards. I then realize what is going on "Oh no..."

"Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death." A new voice says from above. I look up and see a man of royal standing, the king. "I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass." He raises his hand and the poor man is beheaded. I couldn't watch, I've always hated the sight of mass amounts of blood, Merlin usually comforts me.

"When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin." I was shocked at the king's words. He wants to celebrate the death of a poor man?! How cruel could he be?!

"Come on Eva, let's go find Gai-" Before Merlin could finish we heard a loud wailing noise. Looking over we see a devastated old woman crying, I want to just run over and comfort her.

"There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred and your ignorance! You took my son!" I gasp at the old woman's words, the pain she must be feeling...

"I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth...a son for a son!" The crowd gasp at her words and tense up. The King seems to show some worry before masking his emotions once again

"Seize her!" The King orders. Guards start to advance on the grieving women but she mumbles something and the wind picks up then she's gone, vanished into thin air.

It takes a moment but eventually the crowd calms down and disperses. "Eva let's go meet Gaius." Merlin shakes me out of my thoughts.

"And where is he again?" I ask, Merlin stops and looks around searching. I chuckle at his confusion "I'll ask a guard" He nods and I walk off. A guard was not hard to find because of the incident that just occurred. I tap a guard on the shoulder to get their attention "Excuse me?" The guard turned to me.

"Yes, ma'am?" I flash him a kind smile

"Could you tell me where the court physician, Gaius, is?" I ask. He nods and points me in the right direction. I thank him and run off to find Merlin. I look around but I can't find my brother.

"Where did you g-" While I looked for my brother I ignored others around me and I accidentally. crash into someone. I fall to the ground "Oof!"