The Man of My Dreams (part 2)

"Neverland! I can't stay at Neverland Michael"
"Why not?"
"It's just too much, you saved me from Roger first, got into a fight with him for me and now you're offering me shelter at Neverland, I feel like I'm imposing myself on you. You've already done a lot for me, I don't want to trouble you anymore."
Michael's smile faded, he turned to Lily took her hand in his and looked straight into her eyes "Lily, listen to me, your staying here is absolutely no trouble for me but when you say things like that it makes me sad."
"I'm sorry"
"It's okay" his face brightened up again "let me show you my little paradise on earth" he said with a huge wide smile.

Neverland truly was a beautiful place, the zoo, the amusement park and the theatre were all astonishingly beautiful but what captured her heart was the garden and the "giving tree" as Michael called it. It felt so peaceful and calm sitting next to him under the tree surrounded by the sweet scent of the colourful flowers that covered the whole garden. They sat still looking into the distance with complete silence which was occasionally broken by the "choo-choo" of the engine that was going around Neverland.

 They sat still looking into the distance with complete silence which was occasionally broken by the "choo-choo" of the engine that was going around Neverland

"Why did you save me Michael?" Lily asked breaking the silence.
"Pardon?"
"Why did you save me?"
"You wanted my help Lily, Roger would have killed you"
"But after that you could have dropped me off at my home, or a hotel, or even taken me to the police station, that's what most people would do"
"I couldn't leave you alone"
"Why Michael?" Lily asked turning towards him.
Michael remained quiet
"Michael..." Lily asked gently, kneeling in front of him and taking his face in her palms "you can tell me"
Michael looked up with tears brimming in his eyes "when you looked at me after Roger hit you and grabbed your hand to take you away, you reminded me of myself when I was little, your eyes expressed the pain and longing for escape that I have felt all these years" he said, his voice breaking and tears rolling down his cheeks.

"I'm so sorry Michael"
"I'm sorry too Lily"
"Did you feel trapped too?" Lily asked crying
"Yes, every time Joe hit me, I wanted to run away. Music was my escape, dancing my solace. When I dance i don't think of anything so it's the only way to keep my mind off from all the torturous childhood memories. I dance until I'm exhausted and fall asleep"
"But the beatings give you nightmares don't they. I've spent sleepless nights recalling every little detail to find out what I did wrong that Roger hit me."
"It's never our fault Lily"
"But we always do believe so don't we"
Michael looked at Lily. Both their eyes were red from crying, tears still rolling down their cheeks. He hugged her tightly and they both began began to sob. They wanted to stand there for eternity. Each one's pain was the other's painkiller.

"Lily" Michael asked softly "can you sleep with me tonight?"
"Yes"
"Thank you"
"You make me feel loved Michael, like there's still hope in the world"
"You make me feel loved too"
They snuggled closely the warmth of each other's arms melting the years of coldness that had frozen their hearts.

None had nightmares that night and they both slept peacefully dreaming of each other.

"Ding Dong"
"Michael..." Lily slowly woke up. She looked around confused. A few moments later she realised that it was all a dream. Instead of Michael's warm comforting arm there was just a wet pillow. Her heart shattered. It was 25th June 2019, the tenth year of Michael Jackson's death anniversary. She had never known Michael, never met him and yet at that moment she felt an emptiness as if all hope had been lost from the world.

"Ding dong...ding dong" the bell rang again. Lily ran downstairs knowing how Roger got angry if she didn't open the door immediately. She wept as she ran down the stairs, not because she knew Roger would hit her but because this time Michael would not be there to save her.

Dear Michael,As the poet Rumi says

Dear Michael,
As the poet Rumi says

Somewhere beyond right and wrong There's a garden, I'll meet you there

When our souls lie down on the green grass
The world is too full to talk about

Where ideas, language and even the phrase 'each other' doesn't make sense