MC chronicles

He was sitting alone and I knew something was wrong. His back was turned towards me as he sat on the porch in a cozy grandfather chair, with his legs on the wooden railing built to perfect height for moments like these when he wanted to sit alone silently.

I looked at him from the dining room, sipping on my evening tea as the sun was setting and it was starting to get chilly.

“Michael, you should come in now, it’s getting cold outside”

No response. I knew he had whisked off into his world. A little place where he escaped to when the reality of this world got too much for him.

“Michael” I called out again. A little louder this time

“Hey baby! Did you call me?” he asked coming out of his trance but still looking out into the setting sun

“yes Michael, it’s getting chilly outside. You should come in”

“No, I want to stay here a little longer. The sunset is too beautiful to miss”

The sunset was just an excuse. I knew that. Michael had been avoiding me since the past one month. We did talk to fill in the silences that would otherwise expose the bareness of our relationship. I would ask him “how was your day?” and he would reply “fine”. Then I would set up the table for dinner and we would eat with only the noise of the fork clicking against the china plate breaking the silence between us.

I picked up my cup and went to the kitchen to start with the dinner preparations. Tears welled up in my eyes as I dipped the sponge in soap and started lathering the plates with it. What had happened? Why had me and Michael become so distant? As the memories of “us” came to my mind, the water in the sink filled up and I stood there allowing it to spill out into the kitchen floor.

“Hi I’m Michael!” he extended his hand at the fan meet and greet. The picture is still vivid in my mind. Michael looked ravishingly handsome in a golden leotard and black pants that went up to his ankles followed by signature white socks and penny loafers. His sweaty curls dripped down his beautifully chiseled face. For a moment I stood before him dumbfounded, taking in the beautiful masterpiece standing before me.

“And you are?” he chuckled a little bringing me out of my trance

“wet” I replied still dazed.

“huh” he raised his eyebrow and I could see a naughty smile beginning in his eyes

“huh” he raised his eyebrow and I could see a naughty smile beginning in his eyes. But before it could reach his plump pink lips, I spoke up again.

“um… I mean a vet; I am a veterinary” I said lying to cover up the mess that had just leaked out of my mouth.

“oh! What’s you’re name sweetie? People generally tell their names before their profession. I think that’s the rule for conversations” he said smiling knowingly

“well, I know you have a lot of pets. And I also know about, well…the world knows about Bubbles, so I thought I should tell you that I’m a vet just in case you, I mean…any of the animals ever needed me” I said, cursing myself internally, replaying the sentence in my mind and realizing that it made no absolute sense whatsoever.

“hehe” he laughed at my poor, poor attempts of covering up

“well I should go now” I said
completely embarrassed. I couldn’t have made a bigger fool of myself even if I tried to. My first meeting with my idol, my crush, my love, my first meeting with Michael Jackson ends up being this!

Once at office, my male coworkers were discussing about hybrid cars (I owned one) and how awful those were. Being embarrassed I did not tell them about my car. Since it had gotten late, one of the guys whom I had an intense crush on offered to drop me to my car. There was a corvette parked next to my car and I acted as if it was mine, hoping he would leave. But he didn’t and I did the unthinkable, I tried to open the Corvette’s door but the alarm went off. I rushed to my car, got in and sped off. Since that day I could never look him in the eye again. But that embarrassment was nothing compared to what I was feeling right now.

As soon as I turned around to leave, I heard Michael call me back

“Hey vet girl!” he chuckled “you didn’t tell me your name”

I turned around, my face red and burning. “Charmaine” I replied shyly looking down.

“Charmaine, that’s a beautiful name” he said lifting my face up with his taped finger.

“you have a nice name too. Michael, like the angel Michael”

“thank you, well Charmaine, I have a favor to ask. Would you come back to neverland with me?”

“huh” I asked, not sure whether I had heard him right

“well, since you’re a vet, I would like you to meet my animal, aii I mea.. I mean my animals, my pets” he covered up quickly

 I mean my animals, my pets” he covered up quickly

“I would love to” I replied jumping internally. I was going to neverland. Michael had invited me to neverland! Someone either wake me up right now or let this dream continue for the rest of my existence.

The drive was surreal. I looked around at the interiors of the posh limousine. The seats were soft red velvet, there was a mini bar, Michael was sitting in front of me, his back facing the driver. As I looked at him and smiled, he pulled up the black panel behind him and slowly got up from his seat and sat next to me. The smell of his cologne was intoxicating. He had changed into a red button up shirt and black slacks, with his signature fedora. Oh, how I wanted to take the fedora off and ruffle his beautiful curls.

“um Michael” I spoke up softly

“yes sweetie”

“I have a confession. You see I’m not a vet” I said timidly, afraid of what he might think of me

“well Charmaine,” he said looking into my eyes “I’m not taking you to neverland to meet the animals either” he replied with a wink and bit his lower lip as he smiled.