Professor Jackson: Chapter 3

Rachel was no where to be found and so I returned to my room after meeting Professor Jackson, I mean Michael. I decided to write down my plan for the dissertation. I had decided to work on non-verbal cues in Shakespeare's Othello. A lot can be said without words, who would know that better than me. Through stage directions and popular contemporary renditions of the play I wanted to look at the non-verbal communication between Othello and Desdemona. I open my laptop and start typing....

"This is good" Michael says looking at my work.

"thank you, professor"

"Michael" he interjects still looking at the computer.

"Michael" I repeat

"you've made a mistake in applying this theory" he says pointing at the computer. I strain my neck and bend forward trying to look at the screen.

"You can bring your chair next to me if you don't want to break you neck"

I stand and move to the other side of the table dragging my chair and place it next to his. I sit down.

"the application of the performative theory" he says turning his attention to the screen "should be at a later stage"

I stare at the computer. The screen is still a little far away and I can't see clearly what Michael is pointing at. He places his hand on my chair while still looking at the computer and pulls me towards him, till my chair is touching his.

"Oh, okay" I say finally being able to see the screen clearly.

He turns towards me and his knees brush against mine.

"what non verbal cues do you want to focus on?" he asks

"mainly the touch"

"that's nice, do you think the touch of a person can communicate?"

"as strongly as words"

"I don't think so"

"it's true Michael"

"I feel words can communicate things and feelings better"

"touch can do so too" I argue trying to emphasise my point

"well Vivienne suppose a woman wants to tell a man she loves him, the most effective way to do that is through words. All other forms of touch might be ambiguous"

"No"

"No?"

"Not necessarily"

"Then tell me one other way, a nonverbal means through which the woman can tell the man she loves him more effectively than through words"

I find myself unable to explain the power of touch. But I know it is powerful. It so much deeper and honest than words.

"Vivienne?" Michael calls my name

Wait... there is one way.

I lean in and kiss him.