two. waindale high school

I walk to Waindale High School on Monday morning—well—I briskly walk and avoid the trees at all costs. The bear warning was put out, but Grandma said this morning that there wasn't another sighting. It must have run off, is her reasoning.

Waindale High School seems like an okay place to be. The outside is wet-looking like everything else, but like most high schools is a bunch of bricks and doors and windows and cars. The people in the front office are nice and walk me to my first class. It's like ripping off a bandaid every time I enter a classroom and say that I'm new. I suppose this is what happens when you change schools when the year has already begun.

Some students are kind enough to introduce themselves, but most are too preoccupied with their own lives to notice my existence—which is just fine with me. It's hard coming up with things to say.

At lunchtime, a girl with red hair hurries up to me and grabs my arm. I spill a sound of confusion as she takes me to a table. Gripping the strap of my bag, I stand awkwardly when she releases me.

"Hi, I'm Vivian, but most people call me Viv. I saw you standing over there alone, so I thought I would invite you to my table since you're new."

"How do you know—"

"Your name is Wrenley, right? Word travels fast around here. That's a pretty name, though. Please, sit. The others should be coming soon."

I glance back and make another noise of confusion.

Vivian takes it upon herself to grab my hand and pull me down. "You don't have to be shy, really. I hope we can be friends."

I sit and place my bag on the table. "Sorry, I just, you're very straight-forward."

"I know. Some people like it, others don't. Does it bother you?"

"Oh, uh, no. I'm just surprised. Um."

Her pale skin looks so delicate under her pretty blouse. Vivian smiles and something about it makes my heart warm. "So how are you acclimating to the weather?"

"I-I actually like it. It's really different than what I'm used to."

"Oh," she says and turns to a boy who's settling down at the table. His eyes don't leave me. "Wrenley, this is my friend Eli."

Eli smiles a little, nods his head, then glares at Vivian. My insides grow heavy and I wonder if I should excuse myself.

"What are you doing, Viv?" He asks lowly.

She turns away from him. "So, Wrenley, do you play any sports or are you more of a club person? I'm in the student body government as the secretary. We already had our elections for the year, though. I would suggest you join if there were still spots."

"Oh, that's okay. It's not really my thing."

Her head tilts. "So what is your thing?"

"Uh, I—I like to read and watch T.V."

"Oh, well, that's cute." A girl sits down beside Eli and seems shocked by my presence as well. Vivian perks up. "Wrenley, this is my other friend, Elara. Eli and Elara are together. Isn't that cute—that their names are so similar."

"Hi, Wrenley," Elara says then turns to Eli. They face away from us as they talk.

Beginning to feel unwelcome, I grip my bag. "It was nice meeting you guys. I actually have to go to the office about schedule stuff."

Vivian frowns. "Oh, okay. We'll see you later then?"

"Yeah, um, see you guys later."

As I walk to the cafeteria doors, I peer back and watch them argue. Relief washes over me in the hallway, although I have to hide somewhere so they don't see me.