thirty-seven. i am what lurks in the darkness

I struggle to recall all that was said to me as I hurry home. There's no time to see my mother, not after what John Aymon showed me. Surprisingly, my mind feels clear, yet I try to remember certain things he told me, things that I know were important but didn't seem to stick. The only thing that's in my head like a blinking neon sign is that I am able to tell Adam. God, I can't wait to show him. I can't wait to see his reaction. I know he'll be happy because I won't be a sitting duck for all the world's monsters to devour.

The truth is that I am not just a human; I'm the daughter of something magical, something so very beyond my previous understanding. When Adam said that there are things out there that could hurt me, I thought of vampires and witches and trolls and ghosts—but this? John Aymon hardly explained what he is. When Adam asks me, what will I say? That he is a celestial being? It makes him sound holy, like an angel. I wish I asked for clarity before heading back.

My father said we will talk again soon. I know that in the time until our next meeting, I must get used to the abilities he's restored to me. My own powers—I feel like a superhero. The smile that took over my face outside of the diner hasn't left.

I'll tell Adam that I don't know any specifics yet. There's so much to learn, and I hope the next time we speak lasts for hours and hours. I could listen to him tell me about all the world's mysteries—about what we are—for the rest of my life. All of this still feels like a dream. Other then my excitement to get home, the only other thing going through my head are prayers that I don't wake up. If none of this is real, I'll be beyond devastated.

When the house comes into view, I start to run. I rush down the road and onto the property. My hair picks up and brushes against my shoulders, floats in the crisp wind as the winter's fingers stroke my neck. I'm up the porch steps in less than a second. The door is unlocked, and I slip through it with red cheeks.

"Adam!" I call. I venture into the house, following his scent to the kitchen. My feet hardly touch the floor. Energy courses through my body; energy and life that I've never felt before.

I grab the archway to the kitchen before flying past. Adam is there, he swallows a bite of something from the fridge, closes the metal door, and says, "It sounds like your talk went well."

"You have no idea," I breathe and come to him. "Oh, God, where do I begin? I have so much to tell you."

"Your mother had answers to your questions, then?"

I pause. "No. I didn't see her. Well, I was on my way to see her and then my father showed up. We went to the diner. We talked and he explained everything himself."

Adam crosses his arms and leans against the counter. "Your father? How did he find you?"

I can hardly contain myself. My smile returns and my feet threaten to dance in every direction. I grab onto the counter all to stop myself from jumping up and down.

"What's going on?" He asks.

"You won't believe me," I gush. "It's too perfect. I-I can't even believe it. I've been trying to convince myself that I'm awake and not dreaming."

Adam seems concerned. He asks, "What did he tell you, Wrenley?"

"I can show you," I say with confidence. "Just watch. He taught me this."

Adam watches as I place my hand under the water dispenser on the fridge door. An ice cube drops to my hand and I hold out my palm for him to see. "Okay," I murmur, "watch the ice cube."

His chest rises as the ice cube melts rapidly in my hand. I shake the water off into the sink then face him with utter glee. "Did you see that!" I cheer. "I can melt things. I can make brown leaves green again. I-I'm sure I can freeze things if I tried."