forty-nine. it's almost time

I watch Adam and he lays peacefully beside me, the morning sun just beginning to rise and trickle into our bedroom. Abstract shapes of yellow sun are cast over the room, rectangles stretched on the wood floor and the cream walls, and I used to stare at them before getting out of bed. But now that Adam is here with me, I can look at him like I used to. I used to lay here and listen to his steady breaths. It wasn't often that I'd wake up before him, but with my father's power, my sleep schedule has been anything but normal.

It's not a new concept to me anyway—to be awake at all the wrong times.

Just as I note the pleasant silence, the bedroom door slowly opens. Ester pokes her head through, sees that I'm awake, then proceeds toward me with a tall glass of concentrated vitamins. She likes to juice things for me.

I hold my finger up to my lips and she nods, glancing over at her sleeping son. It's a little weird having her in here with us, but I'd rather stomach these uncomfortable moments than lose her.

"Drink this," she whispers, placing down the juice. "Yuke is getting breakfast ready. Should be about thirty minutes."

I nod and sit up. "Let's just let him sleep. He's exhausted. I'm sure Ben can handle things for one more day, and tomorrow he can bring Adam up to speed."

"He's lucky you're here," Ester mutters, "because I wouldn't be so kind. Adam's father didn't raise him to be an Alpha that abandons his pack. And I didn't raise him to be a man that abandons his mate."

"I have to take part of the blame for that one. We—well, we drive each other to do irrational, stupid things sometimes."

She sighs. "Thirty minutes. Wake him for breakfast, please. He needs to eat something proper, something cooked."

His mother leaves us, and I sip my juice, taking it to the bathroom with me while I clean up for the day. I shower and dry my hair, wash my face, brush my teeth—ever since his mother has been here, I've acclimated to a routine. Wake up. Juice. Get ready. Breakfast. I already see her sitting down at the table, waiting for me with her tea. At first her persistence and organizing were overwhelming, but now I realize that I have never felt more put-together. And because she is constantly looking after me, I don't have to worry about my father. Ester keeps him at bay like my own personal guard.

The bathroom door gently pushes open. I dry my hands and look as Adam checks in. "Oh, did I wake you up?" I ask, placing down the hand towel. "I wanted you to sleep. There are about ten minutes until breakfast."

"She's still here, isn't she?" He asks, his voice deep.

"Of course. I need her."

His brow raises. "You want her to be here?"

"She's taking care of me. She's the only reason I haven't lost my mind trying to figure out this pregnancy stuff. She knows everything, Adam."

"From what she told me last night, it doesn't sound like she'd leave if we tried, anyway, not until she has her grandchild in her arms."

I smile to myself. "And she will. She will be a grandmother and will love me forever."

He nears me, coming into the bathroom while saying, "Okay, but once the baby is out, so is she."

"You're going to have to get used to her being around again. I don't think she's just going to disappear once her grandchild is born. Obviously she's going to want to take care of him and be here."

"Him?" Adam questions.

I shrug. "It's going to be a boy."

"Now, I'm not a pregnancy expert like my mother, but isn't it too early to know the gender? Or are you making predictions?"