thirty. the devil's magic

I take a seat up front as my mind swims in ideas and day-dreams of my weekend with Adam. My mom came into my bedroom as I was getting ready this morning. She sat on the edge of my unmade bed and watched as I made sure I had everything necessary—and arguably unnecessary—packed in my suitcase. We talked a little. It wasn't like our usual sarcastic banters, but rather deep and blunt. Since I felt guilty about my fib regarding the status of Adam and my relationship, I decided to fill her in a little. I even told her that Adam and I haven't done anything yet, but the message was masked by other words yet clear from context. I told her that we were taking it steady, and this seemed to settle her nerves.

Although I have stayed the night at his house before, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous myself. Last time things didn't go exactly as I planned, but worrying about it won't do me any good. School is a godsend—serving as the perfect distraction.

"Wren, how are you?"

I look up from my phone to find Penny standing before me without her evil partner. My eyes look around for any reason as to why she would ask me such a thing. I thought they had finally left me alone.

She suddenly takes the seat beside me while saying, "Caitlyn isn't here today."

"Oh, um, sorry to hear that," I mumble.

"Look, I know she can be a little rude sometimes. It's just because her parents are getting divorced. She takes her problems out on other people."

My eyes widen. "Should you be telling me this?"

Penny shrugs. "I don't know. You wouldn't say anything to anyone. I just wanted to apologize, I guess. For being mean. You're kinda the talk of school ever since people found out about your mate, but I'm sure you know that. I'm sure it was hard enough without us bothering you."

"Well, thanks for the apology," I say and give her a little smile.

Penny and I pair up to do the classwork. We continue to chat as we work, and as time passes, it becomes easier and easier to talk to her.

"I know I'm not part of the pack or anything, but it must have been crazy to find out you're mated to their Alpha. They don't talk much about humans being mated to a shifter. Doesn't happen enough for them to teach about it, I suppose."

"Yeah. It has been a little crazy. My whole life got turned upside down," I say.

"I couldn't imagine finding my soul mate at eighteen," Penny says, looking out through the window beside us. "I mean, if humans even have soul mates. I doubt it. You're lucky in that case. At least you know you're not going to die alone or anything."

"You're not going to die alone, Penny. You'll find your person."

She sighs. "Well, Adam is a total catch. I've seen him a few times around the academy. No wonder everyone is talking about you, they must be jealous. Honestly, Caitlyn and I were."

"He's great, but there's no need to be jealous. Everything has its pros and cons."

"Cons? What could be bad about being the Alpha's mate?"

I set down my pencil and stretch my hand. "To start, we don't get a lot of time together now that he's officially Alpha. He's always busy—always having to worry about everyone else. He's responsible for so many people."

"I never really thought about that. I don't think I would want to be the leader of anyone but myself."

"Me too."

Penny asks, "Won't you be the Luna, though? The Alpha's mate is the Luna."

"I don't know. We haven't really talked about that yet."