Letter 15

Almost a week and a half had passed after returning from Takigakure. Naruto was still not doing well, it was a bit better, but the sole thought of Sasuke's angry face would set him off completely. It was horrible to answer all the questions from Kakashi and Shikamaru after receiving the report from the captain. Plus, the effort of lying about the real reason Naruto had no idea where he had gone next.

He was getting home after a day of committee meetings and filing reports. His tired body just fell on the bed, not even bothering to change clothes, he almost forgot to take his shoes off too. It was the first time in a very long time he had felt so defeated and sad. He did not like it. Not one bit.

Thud

His eyes opened.

Thud

He slowly sat up on the bed, he didn't know if he was imagining that sound or if it was really there.

Thud, thud

That was definitely there. He went straight for the window, removing the blinds and opening it quickly.

"Saki" he whispered at what he saw before him, the small purple snake was there, eyes fixed on him like that first day he saw it. And to his surprise, it was not only the snake, it had an actual scroll on his back. He took the snake into the apartment, took the scroll of its back and unrolled it nervously.

"You win again, usuratonkachi."

A smile started forming on his face. His hands were shaking, he couldn't continue reading, he pressed the paper against his chest and smiled wider. He took a couple of deep breaths without separating from the letter, after which he decided to continue reading.

"I think I can forgive myself now, maybe not fully, yet, but I'm being open to it. And I'm making peace with everything.

I know it'll take time, but I have a goal now, a goal that'll keep me in the path I want to be."

A tear ran down Naruto's cheek.

"I don't know where I'm going from here. I tried to figure it out before writing this, but I couldn't.

I'll let you know.

Thanks, Naruto.

Sasuke"

Now several tears were running down his face, he embraced the letter again and cried quietly, tears of happiness, tears of relief.

"Bakasuke" he whispered as the tears stopped and he started to dry them. He stood up from the bed and went to his desk to write a reply, wearing the biggest smile in a while.

You're an idiot, you know that?

He wanted to say so much in that letter. But he knew most of them were better said in person. His heart raced through the whole thing, and after. He couldn't even fall asleep after that, despite how tired he was.

He looked at his reply for a little longer before finally rolling it up and putting it on the snake. Who, as always, crawled outside the window and disappeared in the ground.

The next morning he woke up in the same clothing as the night before, that's when he realized he didn't notice when he fell asleep. He looked towards his bedside table and Sasuke's letter was still there. It was not a dream, he thought with relief. A smile showed up and didn't go away through his shower, teeth brushing and dressing up. He was so happy he didn't know what to do with it, he wanted to sing, run, jump and scream, all at the same time. He wanted to tell Sakura, it was the only person he could speak to.

"Sakura here" she answered the phone. Thank god she was home.

"Can I come over?" he asked quickly.

"Um, sure, it's my free day" she replied.

"Be there in 5" Naruto whispered as he hanged up, took the letter and rushed outside.

Knock, knock, knock

Just 5 minutes later he was at Sakura's knocking the door.

She opened it with a smile.

"Mooorning" he greeted her with a overly joyful tone.

"Someone is happy today" she chuckled as she moved aside so Naruto could come in. "Oh my god, did you receive news from Sasuke?" she gasped seconds later. Slam!

Naruto groaned. "I wanted to say it" Sakura just laughed.

"So, where is he? How is he?" she asked, sitting on her leaving room, Naruto followed.

"Read it yourself" he said with a smile, handing the letter to her.

A sweet smile slowly build on his friend's face. She pressed her lips as her eyes watered. She sighed putting the letter down, brushing her eyes with the back of her hand.

"See?" she said looking at Naruto. "I told you" she gave the letter back to him. "He only needed time"

Naruto chuckled. "I know, I know" he sighed. "Thanks"

Sakura stood up and opened her arms wide, Naruto chuckled lightly as he stood up to receive her hug.