Milkshake Ache

As the cheers finally subside we decide to get away from the stuffy campus. Giggling like teenagers in love, we run with our hands clasped together heading to the student parking lot. I can feel the adrenaline coursing through my veins from our antics. Nothing else matters and it seems like the world itself has slowed down around us keeping us in the moment.

Hoseok and I come to a stop as his car finally blossoms into view. The red vehicle shines in the midday light like a beacon. He steps forward to get in the car, but I am not yet ready to let go of his hand. I tighten my grip and Hoseok pauses looking back at me. "Come on, hyung. The quicker we get in the car the sooner we can get something to eat." At the mention of food, I realize just how hungry I really am considering I was so late that breakfast was not an option. Reluctantly, I release his hand and we separate to climb into his car.

We are pulling out of the parking lot and onto the highway before I realize that I have no idea where we are going. "Hoseok-ah, just where are we headed?" A thoughtful look creases his brow and his lips begin to purse.

"Honestly, I didn't think I would get this far. Our interactions have been so all over the place that I never thought that you would agree to go out with me." Hoseok turns his eyes from the road to give me a brief sheepish smile. "I know a diner not too far... Only if you want to of course. I know it was a bit sudden when I asked you. Now that it is just the two of us, you can tell me no. I won't be upset. I don't want you to feel pressured. How about I just take you to Seokjin hyung's instead?" The younger boy seems to run out of breath at his deluge of words and I can't help but smile at his rambling. I lay a hand on his leg and give a reassuring squeeze.

"No, Hoseok-ah. I want to go out with you, give whatever this is a chance. I'm just not familiar with these kinds of things." I look up into his mocha eyes and feel a rush of warmth shudder in my chest. "I wouldn't agree if I didn't mean it. Thank you for being so patient with me. Seokjin says I can be a handful." Laughter bubbles up between us and just like that the tension dissipates.

The rest of the car ride is quiet except for the gentle notes of a song turned down on the radio. I am beginning to doze off when we pull into a modest looking diner. Hoseok parks the car and I sit up in my seat to look around. "Hyung, we're here." I smile at him and unbuckle my seat belt as he begins to exit the car. The mocha eyed boy wills me to follow him and I quickly shuffle behind him into the bright eatery.

The smell and sounds envelop us as we file into a booth towards the back and I can't help but look around in wonder. Before I can fully take in the sights a waitress skips up with menus in hand. "Welcome to Itaewon diner, may I interest you in our specials? I am Chan-ri, your waitress this afternoon. Do you know what you would like to order or would you like to look over the menu?" She has a sweet smile and I can only watch as Hoseok chats confidently with her. I look back and forth between the two who seem to almost know each other. Was it a mistake agreeing to lunch, did he mean to make a mess of my emotions? Could he possibly have dated her?

"Hyung?" My reverie is broken as I meet the curious eyes of Hoseok. I hadn't even realized the waitress had made a departure or the menu placed before me. He takes my hands in his gentle palms once again and the panic subsides from my heart. "You are being quiet, well quieter than usual... Are you uncomfortable? If you don't want to stay here I can find another place or you can tell me somewhere you like? I just want you to feel comfortable when you are with me." It is the honest look in his eyes that finally breaks my resolve. Maybe it is time to stop letting my fears control me.

My eyes begin to tear up at the kindness from him. I am not used to someone giving me so much attention. Seokjin doesn't count because he is basically family and knows how I get. People have always judged me based on assumptions because of my tattoos or even clothing, so the fact that Hoseok is desperately trying to know the real Min Yoongi scares me a little. I stare up at him and my lips begin their traitorous quivering. He must sense the anxious feelings within me because his thumbs rub soothing circles on the backs of my hands. "Seok-ah..."