Chapter 7 Marelda

The street poured with people from different roads, filling up the already busy street I was walking in. People here didn't wear those outrageous outfits back in the mansion or the clothes my village wore, instead they wore silks of every kind, lace carefully handcrafted, cotton made as soft as clouds and other types of fabrics.

It was beautiful, nothing I've ever seen and it made me awfully jealous of their incredible fashion sense. My clothes felt bare and plain compared to their clothes that emitted quiet elegance. I huffed out a breath and the crowd's steps stopped following a couple of gasps in the now quiet streets.

My eyes drifted to the crowd and how they formed around me. I hadn't noticed it, too occupied at their clothes instead of the crowd that was following me. The way their bodies formed a circle around me or how everyone was looking at me. My breath became shallow and uneven, a big gulp coming down my throat. I stopped moving.

I tossed and turned my mind over and over again, scared of the outcome that kept appearing in my head no matter how many scenarios I made up. They found me, they found me, they found me. I'm done for. They have come to lock me up for planning to kill the heir. No, they can't lock me up again. I can't take it. I can't. no No NO!

The crowd noticed the sudden change of mood from me. The murmurs became less distant, louder though their voices are weak and barely audible.

"Is..that really her?"

"Is she okay?.." "Maybe we should call the authorities.."

"Her skin looks like she hasn't seen the light of day."

"...Similar but different. It's not her."

My heartbeat became a violent drum in my chest, wanting to leave and run away. I have to calm down. They can't call the authorities. I have to act normal. Ya. I'm a god damn assassin for as long as I can remember, something as little as this can't affect me. I haven't even done anything yet, they possibly can't have anything against me. Right, I'm okay and I won't let them take me away.

My mind cleared like a cloudy day disappearing and opening towards a sun-filled morning. The murmurs became distant again, my heartbeat became slow and rhythmic. I'm okay, they know nothing. I smiled at the crowd, my steps steady, emitting grace and confidence as I walked towards the store I had eyed.

The sign was purple made of stained glass that shined in the day. Inside it was filled with many people who stopped shopping and looked at me as I stood in front of the store. A loud voice from inside yelled the sound was full of excitement and joy yet the words she uttered were nothing of sorts. "Get out! Come on the move!"

A surge of people left the store but none complained, all of them seemed to be preoccupied with me. I stared at one girl, in particular, she was less than 10 from how she looks but her eyes seemed to hold the world, her mouth gaped open staring at me. I gave the girl a special little smile, just for her, and she bloomed like a flower.

She was soon dragged away as the people poured away from the store. I wasn't sure why I had smiled like that since I hadn't given anyone that smile for a very long time but something about her...I can almost pin it down when a hand grabbed my arm. I shot towards it, reluctant to snatch my arm away.

"Hmm, you're well built. Skin too pale. AH, beautiful hair, and such eyes! How delightful." A red-haired lady stood in front of me, hair that seemed to burn like fire. Eyes that seemed to stare in my soul as she looked at my body than to my face. It felt more like an assessment though, one I needed to pass.

I was about to speak and when the lady continued. "Come come." Even though she said to come, she pulled me in her store anyways, away from the crowd around us, not giving me a choice to say no.