the Cave

The two moons were still visible in the sky and the first signs of the morning sun were barely showing above the horizon, but we could wait no longer

The two moons were still visible in the sky and the first signs of the morning sun were barely showing above the horizon, but we could wait no longer. Sleep had completely evaded us all night, as excited chatter and anticipation kept us wide eyed all through the darkness.

The 7 of us stood in silence in front of the archway. The structure towered above us some 20 feet or more and at the base seemed to be at least ten feet wide. With a little fear I touched the edge of the archway. The tan coloured bricks were cool to the touch and marble smooth.

"Captain? Is that advisable?" Belinda wondered.

I nodded. "It is safe," I assured her, remembering the feathery touch I had felt when I secretly put my hand partway through the arch's opening, the evening before.

I took a deep breath and looked at my crew. We were all standing in silent wonderment as to what the archway would disclose to us. What amazing wonders could be waiting. 

And I am sure, some of us, were also wondering if perhaps horrific deaths awaited us. Of course there was only one way to find out.

Several voiced their desire to be the first to touch the reflective face of the archway. Their arguments that I was far too important to take such a risk fell on deaf ears, as I knew they all wanted the notoriety of being the first and the certain bragging rights that such an honour would entail. But as captain, I used my veto power to dissuade the others.

I secretly wanted the bragging rights.

With bated breath and a slight tinge of fear, I slowly moved my hand toward the shimmering surface, once again. But this time was different.

It was as if the entire world around me disappeared. I could hear no sound, see nothing but the water-like image that was in front of me.

My hand touched the surface. It was not solid. My hand went through.

Again the feathers. They tickled.

I pulled it back quickly, causing the others to jump.

Grader took my hand and looked at it. "Have you been harmed, Captain?"

I shook my head and assured him that I was fine. I stared at my hand, turning it over so I could examine all of it. Apart from a slight tingling through my fingers, it was as it should be. I smiled and stared, wide eyed, at the others.

"Do you wish me to be first, Captain?" Grader wondered.

I shook my head, and quickly, without further thought or hesitation, I stepped through the archway.

For a moment I felt a tingling sensation overtake my entire body. I stopped and looked around me. It was as though I were encased in water, but there was no drowning or resistance. I could move my arms and legs and I even did a slight twirl, feeling the strange sensation overtake me.

Finally I started walking forward again, through the shimmering nothingness. I was greeted by the partial darkness of a tunnel.

Within seconds, the other six of my party joined me and we stood, in silence, awaiting our eyes to adjust.

"That was amazing," Flo commented. The others shared the same sentiment.

"Where to now, Captain?" Belinda gasped.

I looked the length of the tunnel. A light seemed to emit from the far end of the tunnel.

I looked behind us. Only darkness.

"I see but one path that we must travel. To the light," I commanded.

As we walked on, I reflected on the tales I had heard of those who had experienced death and had lived to tell the tale. Of how they had seen a light at the end of a tunnel and were drawn toward it.

Hopefully that was not the case for us.