Ghaidyen

It took several moments, but slowly I gasped myself back to regular breathing

It took several moments, but slowly I gasped myself back to regular breathing. As my eyes adjusted, I saw her. She was hovering above me, looking back at the demons still standing. "Be gone, vile creatures," she snapped. She aimed her fiery sword toward them and they disappeared in a gauntlet of fire.

I slowly got to a sitting position. Carisha was laying next to me. I started moving away from her.

"She is of no danger to you anymore."

The winged soldier was now standing in front of me. She reached down and took my hand, easily pulling me to my feet. 

"Who are you?" I needed to know.

"I am Ghaidyen," she answered.

"What are you?"

She looked at Carisha. "I am your protector."

I was shocked. "Protector?"

By now the others in our group had joined us.

"You are safe now. The storm dragon is gone and I shall deal with Carisha," Ghaidyen informed us.

Kyhle stepped forward. "What of my people?"

A sad look came to the Protector's face. "Many have died, but many still live."

"I must return then." Kyhle turned to me. "I thank you for your sacrifice."

I hugged the young Queen. "I hope you once again find the peace that you had before."

With that, the three fairies left.

"And what of us?" I wondered, not really sure what to expect next.

Ghaidyen smiled. "It is time for you to return to your ship and continue your travels."

I looked at Liam and Belinda. "What of my crew that have perished?"

"They will be rewarded for their bravery," she assured me. "They will find a higher calling."

"Thank you." I looked back at Ghaidyen. "Then we will be on our way as well. We have a long journey ahead of us."

"I will aid you on your journey. You have suffered enough."

"Will I see you again?" I wondered.

Ghaidyen hugged me and kissed me gently on the lips. "I will always be with you and to assure you that I mean what I say, I have a gift for you."

"What gift?"

"It awaits you on the beach." She kissed me again. "Until we meet again, Captain Scealai."

A second later, Belinda, Liam and myself were standing at the edge of the bramble, near the beach.

"How did we get here?" Belinda wondered in amazement.

I looked to the water. A boat was being pulled up on the beach. "I guess we do have a guardian angel."

"Captain."

A woman's voice turned my attention back to the water.

"Who is that?" Liam asked, as the woman neared us.

My eyes opened wide as I stared into a familiar face.

The woman walked to Liam and offered her hand. "I am called Aingeal. I am the only survivor of the Forest Rose. We crashed on the rocks on the opposite end of the island." She looked at me. "Your crew were kind enough to allow me passage with you, if you approve."

I walked to the woman and hugged her. "How?" I whispered.

"You can thank Ghaidyen," she whispered back.

I was slightly confused as to why Belinda and Liam did not recognize the beautiful fairy.

Aingeal's voice filled my head. "It is best that they do not remember me. I am no longer a fairy. I am now as you are."

Frahley walked to me. "I see you have met our guest. And by your reaction, I assume she will be joining us on our journey?" There was a slight tinge of, perhaps, jealousy, in her voice.

I nodded. "I see no reason why she should not."

"As you wish, Captain," Frahley nodded. I could hear a slight sadness in her voice.

I walked to her and kissed her gently on the lips. "Do not worry." I winked at her.

Frahley smiled and let out a long sigh.  She then looked at Belinda and Liam. "Seems we have lost some good people."

A tear fell from my eye. "Indeed we have. Come, let us catch the night winds and leave this place.     We have quite a tale to tell."