Kyhle

"I am Khyle

"I am Khyle."

I turned to see a young fairy standing behind me. I looked at Aingeal. "But I thought ..."

She shook her head. "I am sorry for the deception but we are leery of visitors. Carisha has many spies, looking for our Queen."

Another explosion sounded above us and debris from another hut flew over our heads.

Aingeal spoke to me again. "You must go now. Our Queen will show you the way."

"You must come with me," Khyle insisted of Aingeal.

She shook her head. "Carisha will appear soon. We will slow her down." She turned to me. "Go back the way you came. Our Queen will know what to do."

Four other fairies appeared near us. "These are Khyle's personal guards. They will help protect her."

Another explosion rocked the village, the after light blinding us momentarily.

Khyle and Aingeal hugged and immediately the young Queen turned and started away from the village.

"I will protect her," I assured Aingeal, as I followed her Queen. I have to admit that my heart was breaking slightly as I imagined the fate that awaited this beautiful fairy.

Dracon flew over our heads once again. Grader pushed me aside, just as the huge dragon swooped at us. He raised his long-gun and fired at the beast. There was a scream as the buckshot hit the target, but just as quickly, the huge beast turned and started back at us. Grader looked at me. "Go," he yelled. "I will hold him."

I was about to protest but I was pulled along by one of the fairies. "There is little time."

I took one last look at Grader. He smiled and pulled his pistols from their holsters. "Go," he yelled at me.

Moments later I heard 2 shots echo behind me and then the scream of a man. A single tear came to my eye as I knew then that Grader had bought us some time, by sacrificing his own life. I would pray for him later, as time was not on our side, at the moment.

We soon arrived at the pond that we had first seen after leaving the cave.

"It will slow us down to go around," I informed our group. "We must swim across."

Kyhle smiled and waved her hand toward the pond. Blue specks seemed to emit from her fingertips. As they hit the water, the liquid seemed to grow solid. "We must hurry. It will only last for a few minutes." She started across the pond, safely above the water on the glistening path.

We followed her across the pond and as the last fairy reached our side, the path disappeared.

"We must hurry," Kyhle urged us. "There is not much time."

The words were no sooner out of her mouth then the ground shook and water rained down on us. A black shadow passed over our heads.

There was a scream behind me and as I turned, I saw one of the fairies fall to the ground, her wings burned off, her face contorted in pain, but she did not scream.

I stepped toward the suffering fairy, but as I did, I looked across the pond. On the other side I saw another figure appear atop a outcrop of rocks. The same rocks where we had first seen Aingeal.

She stared at me for a moments and then raised her hand. Red streaks flew from her fingertips. I turned, bracing myself for what I was sure would be a direct hit, but instead the streaks hit the fairy next to me and burned her to ash in front of me.