Secret Mission

Roo could feel her blood jumping around in excitement at the thought of finally taking some time off and just enjoying life with her boyfriend. She would finally taste what it was to be a normal girl, could throw her worries about Grindelwald and all the secrets and the plots that had her tossing and turning all night. She had been looking forward to this little trip to Paris, as much as she hated the idea of her boyfriend paying for her trip.

Roo had contacted him in the middle of the week, demanding him to let her know the price of her plane ticket, but Mike had adamantly refused and even threatened to stop talking to her if she continued with her 'ridiculous behaviour' as he liked to call it.

She stood in her front hallway in the early hours of Saturday morning, bouncing from foot to foot as she watched the street impatiently for any sign of Mike's vehicle. Peering down at her watch, she realized that he was late, and frowned.

Mike was usually never late.

Maybe he had woken up late, Roo thought to herself while absentmindedly tapping her feet against the ground. The small ball of anxiety coiled inside her stomach as for a minute, she thought of all possible scenarios that might have happened to him, the series of unfortunate incidents that could harm him.

But then she shook her head as if to shake some sense into her. Mike was fine, and he had just woken up early and was frantically rushing to get his things together, she thought before nodding, as if that made everything all the better.

One hour went by.

Then another.

Roo was getting worried by then, concern swirling through her stomach as she gazed a the street void of his car still. The city started bustling to life and it was then that she realized that something must have happened. He wouldn't have taken that long if he was just late. Or did he forget? That was the realization that dawned on her. Maybe he had forgotten all about their small vacation. It could be possible if he was swamped with work. But Mike was usually organized, not one to brush off big events like that, especially when he had gone out of his way to pay for them behind her back.

Roo tried calling his landline, only to hear the lonely echo of the dial. She placed it back on the receiver with a sigh.

She tried weighing out her options. Technically speaking, she could apparate at his place but that would bring about a hoard of questions that she didn't want to face just yet. Other than that, there was no other way of contacting him and Roo couldn't help but bite down on her lower lip in an attempt to qualm the scenarios building inside her, practically bursting at the seams.

A crack was heard from behind her, and Roo jumped in surprise, turning to see her friend's figure emerge from her kitchen doorway. Tina had a frown on her face and didn't seem too pleased.

Roo stood up, "hey, what brings you here?"

"Reginald." Tina said grimly, "says he wants to call an urgent meeting."
"Because of Grindelwald?"

The tall, slim woman nodded, "he heard about the Deathly Hallows." It was then that her eyes trailed down to the luggage at Roo's side, propped against the wall. Tina looked back up into Roo's eyes in surprise, "Oh, did I...?"
"No." Roo shook her head and forced a lightness in her tone, although she knew she wouldn't be able to fool her friend for long, "let's go. They need us."

----------

It was hard not to be affected by the grave, sombre atmosphere surrounding the office when the two women apparated inside. The Scamander brothers were already present, Newt busy playing with his Bowtruckle while Theseus had his hands clasped in front of him, brow furrowed and intensely burning a hole through the wall. Adam was lounging by the corner, but it was clear that his attempt to remain calm was bouncing from foot to foot to disseminate the tension flowing through him.