Intimate Misunderstandings

To say that Roo was happy was an understatement.

She couldn't keep the smile off her face as she entered the office, whistling a soft tune under her breath as she walked across the corridors leading up to her desk, not giving a care in the world when curious gazes turned her way and raised eyebrows were cocked in question at her seemingly happy-go-lucky attitude that seemed fit for only a girl in love.

The date had ended with Theseus being pulled into Roo's flat the moment she'd managed to unlock the doors with a soft murmur of alohomora, and that night she'd thanked the gods for magic, before that thought had flown right out of her mind the moment Theseus's lips descended down upon hers like a parched man in need of water. They spent the rest of the night on the couch, exchanging the softest kisses and enjoying being in each other's presence as they talked about their childhood, their dreams and what they hoped would be a wonderful future now that they knew they had someone to share it with. Roo knew that there was still so much to know about this gorgeous auburn-haired man, still so much to discover underneath those layers of pain and masked misery that followed him around like tangible ghosts. She remembered how intimidating he'd seemed on the very first day she'd met him, and when she told him so, he'd only laughed and stated that he had never been keen on the idea of having a secretary.

"I have to admit I wasn't fond of you at first," Theseus had murmured as they lay curled up into each other, fingers weaved into her dark locks while his other hand was splayed across her stomach, big and warm and just there with only the silk fabric of her green shirt separating their skin to skin contact. He continued, blue eyes swirling with a tenderness that made her breath catch in her throat, "You grew on me though. Before I knew it, I started liking having you around."

"I knew you didn't like me. You weren't exactly the picture of friendliness," Roo poked his arm in response.

He chuckled, "I don't appreciate people ruffling through my files, and watching you do it made me anxious and irritated. But," He paused, hesitating slightly before continuing in the softest tone, "you're --you're good at what you do, you know."

Roo had never heard such a compliment escape his lips before, and hearing him say so had her tummy flip inside out. She could feel the heat creeping up her cheeks and she looked away, a faint smile tugging at the corner of her lips despite trying to keep calm.

"Thanks," she mumbled, "I think you're a great auror."

His gaze softened and she swore she could've melted into a puddle right then and there. Softly, as though he was scared of hurting her, as though she was made of porcelain, his thumb brushed against her cheekbone, touch lingering there for a moment. Roo basked in the warmth he gave her, so aware that his body was practically pressed up to hers, that his breath was just a few beats away, and that if she really wanted to, she could just grab him by the neck and kiss the life out of him.

But she'd rather die before admitting that.

"Rooda?" A voice broke right through her bubble of giddiness. Roo turned around, a smile automatically breaking across her face like sunshine peeking through a cloud when she caught sight of a familiar man leaning against the doorway.

"Hawkes!" She rushed over and almost knocked him back with a sudden hug. The said man chuckled, patting her head awkwardly as she pulled away and beamed up at him.

"You're happy," Hawkes noted as he beckoned her into his office. Roo followed with a slow hum as her response.

"How are you feeling?" Roo asked him as she settled herself into one of his plush cushions. Something about War just put everything into perspective. Once, she wouldn't even have dared sit so comfortably in Hawkes's office as though he was just one of her old friends.