Reckless

Roo did not expect that blast to throw her off her feet and into the water. But it did anyway. Before she knew it, she was sent flying through the air, Newt's yells and Adam's voice getting drowned in the sudden chaos that had suddenly erupted on the boat. Roo squeezed her eyes shut, expecting the water to hit her body like a painful slap. 

"Wingardium Leviosa!" 

Instead, she found herself landing in someone's arms. 

"Did it get you? Are you alright?" Adam held her with sudden force, eyes raking over her body while she took this time to regain sense of her surroundings. He had somehow levitated her back to the boat and relief flooded through her veins. 

Roo nodded before quickly stumbling out of his hold, "I'm fine." she looked around, only to gasp when Adam pulled her back out of sight, "What's happening?" 

"Grindlewald's followers were tracking us." Adam scoured the boat for Newt's figure, who was busy deflecting spells from two other wizards. He turned to Roo, seriousness glinting in his almond green eyes, "We need to distract them as much as we can. They can't follow Theseus and Tina. Come on." 

Roo didn't even have time to verbally state her agreement before she was running behind Adam, following his lead as she joined the battlefield. Quickly whipping out her wand, she cast a deflective spell towards one of the enemy wizards, who got stunned and flew back against the boat railing. 

Grindlewald himself was nowhere in sight, but that didn't mean they were winners yet. His followers were strong and sturdy, almost as if they'd been training for this particular kind of moment. As she fought back against their curses and dodged and ran away from the green flashes of light, Roo couldn't help but notice how shockingly young they all were. Camilla's words suddenly bounced through her mind, realization hitting her in the face.

"We were taught how the throw curses on our very first class. There weren't any real schedules. We were being forced to train and fight each other constantly until little by little, people started dying."

Could this be Grindlewald's little band of followers he had acquired and formatted to his liking? It made more sense for the more she kept looking, the more she realized how wrong this whole scene looked like. She tried recollecting her thoughts and pouring logic into her mind as she fought spells and deflected them to the best of her ability. There was something weird about them, something off but that she couldn't quite place. 

A small yelp escaped her mouth when a piece of their ship exploded into tiny million wooden pieces, some falling right onto her body as she rolled herself away in vain. 

"Expelliarmus!" She cried before dodging out of the way of another curse. Her foot throbbed when she landed it in the wrong position, causing her to grit her teeth against the flash of pain throbbing up her leg. 

She circled around the enemy: a young boy that looked barely past the age of fifteen. He watched her, swaying along with the wind as if he was unstable on his own two feet. There wouldn't have been anything normally wrong except that he didn't look like he even knew she existed. His ice-blue eyes wee unfocused, gazing out into nothingness with his wand pointed in front of him like there was an invisible enemy. Roo gently tiptoed her way around, only to stumble slightly on a cracked wooden board.

His head snapped in her direction, lips moving without sound before he advanced forward towards her. She scrambled backwards, quickly regaining her footing as she held her wand out in warning. It was then that she noticed the grey tones of his skin, the dirtiness of his entire being like he'd just crawled out from the ground, noticed the amoutn of buzzing flies flitting past him and circling his head just like he was --