The Aftermath

Grindelwald's defeat was claimed by none other than Dumbledore. The Hogwarts headmaster had ended him once and for all, and there had been no pity in his blue eyes when he launched his final spell.

The rest of the city of Paris was completely destroyed, what with the amount of damage done to the buildings and the multitude of bodies that littered the Parisian streets, it had taken more than two hours and the entire team of wizards to get everything running and back to normal, as well as obliviate the witnesses. Newt and Theseus were driven to the French Ministry's hospital wing as soon as it was found that they were both still breathing, while Adam's body was brought back to England, where his roots laid. His family, devastated by the news, had held a small burial for the said individual, and while Roo had not been keen on leaving Theseus's side -- his condition had been confirmed to be a coma -- it was her duty to go and stand by his side to say her final goodbyes.

It had been just as hard to watch the casket lowering to the ground, tears trailing silently down her face as the family around her bawled and cried in agony. The sadness and the pain and the anguish was almost too much for her to take, but she'd pressed her lips together and kept her head held high despite her trembling heart giving way to the pain wrenching at her insides. It hurt, memories of Adam's face flashing across her mind, his smile, his eyes, the way hid voice would crack whenever he laughed. He had been a beautiful soul, someone with such a big heart.
Look where that had got him.
Credence and Dumbledore had accompanied her, and in response to her tears, had shuffled closer in an attempt to comfort her with their presence. She never told them how much she appreciated them being there.

She returned to Paris the same day, anxious to get back to the Scamander brothers and Tina. While Newt had stabilized and was now fully conscious, his older brother was still in a form of comatose state that had resulted from Grindelwald's attack. Theseus surviving that unforgivable curse had already been a miracle, but nobody understood the extent to which it had damaged his physical and mental being. Dumbledore had theorized that it may have been Roo's doing that had dimmed the curse's power, as it had shot out of her wand instead of Grindelwald's. The indirect relationship from spell caster to its victim had somehow reduced the curse's effectiveness. Tests were run, spells were countlessly being researched and the entire French Ministry had pooled their resources into researching medicinal magical herbs in an attempt to understand the phenomenon.

Tina embraced her as soon as the younger auror walked through the hospital doors. 

"How are you?" Came Tina's murmur. 

Roo just shrugged but didn't bother saying anything for fear that she would break down right then and cry. Tina clasped her tight, fingers digging into her shoulder as she spoke, "Newt finally walked outside for a bit. He's a bit shaky still, dizzy sometimes."

"That's good improvement." Roo murmured as the older woman drew away, "and Theseus?"

The worry was etched into Tina's eyes as she ruffled her dark locks, "we're...we're not sure."

Roo raised an eyebrow.

"The medicine we gave him this morning made him twitch, and there was an improvement in his vitals. But that didn't last long, wore off in the afternoon."

Hope filled Roo's chest, "but it works, right?"

Tina pressed her lips together, "well, I guess you can say that."

"And how are you?" Roo asked softly, reaching out to place a comforting hand on Tina's shoulder. After her fight with Queenie, the latter had been put into one of the French Ministry's suspension cells while waiting for her trial to proceed. And while Tina was strong and always so sure of herself, confident in the way she did things, Roo knew of Tina's closeness with her younger sibling.