nine;

❅

*warning, sensitive content

'Jungkook has been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. His heart is too weak to take care of his body, he will need a transplant. That is for him to decide if he wishes to go forward with it.'
    'And if not?' Taehyung finally spoke, forcing himself to ask, even though he already knew the answer.
    The doctor sighed sadly as she looked towards the room where the boy lay in the bed. 'If not, he may be at risk of having a heart attack, or stroke, and there is a high chance of not being able to save him.'

   Taehyung sat with his head in his palms, having no tears left to cry as he had been sobbing for the past few hours, sitting besides Jungkook's bed.
He was still not awake, at least he won't be in much pain this way.
He had no idea how the both of them ended up being this way, the both of them sick, the both of them slowly dying.
Jungkook would be able to live if he had a heart transplant, and Taehyung immediately thought of himself. Taehyung would give his heart to Jungkook, if it meant that he could live. But he knew that Jungkook would refuse, saying that there would be no point in living if his best friend was gone.
But for Taehyung, there would be no point in dying if he would spend the rest of his days with regret for not saving Jungkook's life.
He had pondered over the thought of it for a few hours, sitting silently beside Jungkooks bed while he stirred in his sleep, mumbling words that were inaudible. Taehyung decided that when Jungkook was finally awake and was well rested, he would have a conversation with him about it. Maybe he could tell Jungkook about his brain cancer, too.
Or the he had been in love with him for the longest time.
He remembered the day he met Jungkook. He had run away from Busan to Seoul, his parents had not been supportive of his dream career, to become a professional dancer. Taehyung was working at his dads small cafe when a younger Jungkook rushed in, looking scared and lost, hungry and tired.
'What can I get you?' He asked Jungkook with a forced smile, hating that he had to work here during summer holidays.
Jungkook stared at the menu that was placed about Taehyungs head thoughtfully, pondering over whether he wanted banana milk or chocolate milk.
'Umm...' He had linked his fingers together, still looking a little scared, making Taehyung feel sorry did the young boy.
Jungkook finally spoke. 'I'll have a chocolate milk- wait, no, a banana milk.' He heaved a big sigh. 'Yes, banana milk.'
Taehyung punched in his order. 'Are you staying in or take away?'
Jungkook glanced outside the cafe windows, snow had been falling in big chunks out side, covering the outside pavement like a thick white quilt.
He hung his head low, and Taehyung wondered what this boys story was.
'Staying in, please.' He mumbled quietly.
Taehyung simply nodded, still feeling sorry for him. He looked cold and tired and like he hadn't eaten a proper meal in a few days.
'That'll be $4.95,' Taehyung said regretfully, knowing full well that it was far too expensive for just a banana milk.
Jungkook shoved a hand into his pocket, then his other into his left pocket, pulling out only a few coins and a scrunched up note.
Taehyung felt his heart sink at the sight of the young boy as he realised that he had no money.
He looked up, embarrassed, red tinting his cheeks and hurt showing in his eyes. 'I'm sorry, I don't have enough. I'll come back another day.'
The boy, who couldn't be much younger than Taehyung, began to turn but something was telling Taehyung to stop him.
'Wait!' Taehyung yelled out, catching the boys attention as well as a few others. 'It's okay, it's on me.'
The boy grinned, face set in surprise. 'Really?- I mean, you don't have to, it's okay.'
Taehyung waved the boy over, this time a real smile on his face. 'A banana milk, right?'
Jungkook nodded, trying to suppress a smile. 'Thank you so much, I owe you.'
Taehyung smiled, finding his heart softening as he stared at the boy. 'Not a problem, I'll think of it as my good deed for the day.'
Jungkook let out a childish giggle, he seemed so vulnerable and young to be looking so tired and worn out.
'I recommend the booth towards the back, near the window. There's less noise there.' Taehyung said to Jungkook, who nodded eagerly and took off with a thank you, looking back once to grin at Taehyung, which oddly reminded him of a small bunny.
Taehyungs shift was almost over and he found himself wanting to speak to the boy more.
He swiftly took off his grey apron, setting it on the counter before he took a tall glass of banana milk, and another filled with chocolate milk, in his hands before making his way to the back of the cafe, towards Jungkook.
Jungkook noticed Taehyung and immediately jumped in his seat, his face brightening at the sight of his banana milk.
Taehyung slid the two glasses towards him with a smile before sliding himself into the seat opposite Jungkook, folding his arms over the table.
Jungkook stared at the second glass, confused, his head tilted slightly to the side as his bottom lip jutted out.
'They're for you,' he inclined his head to the two drinks with a kind smile.
Jungkook lifted his hands, shaking his head. 'I-I can't. You've already done too much for me'
'Please, drink them. I don't even like milk.' He lied, for the sake of the young boy.
Jungkook grinned again. 'Thank you so much!'
Taehyung held his hand out towards him. 'I'm Taehyung.'
Jungkook grinned his bunny smile again. 'Jungkook.'

-
DRAFT VERSION

-DRAFT VERSION