Chapter Four- Sit Like a Lady, Breathe like a Lady

Charlotte (Charlie, Lottie)

-------------------------------

Today is my fourteenth birthday. 

Today is my fourteenth birthday, and as I sit in the middle of the table, everyone gathered around me, Papa and Oncle Arthur by my side, I'm left wondering- Where is oncle Alfred? He hadn't showed up in the morning, and as the party slipped into late evening, he still has yet to show up. Nobody has whispered a word about it... but I sense they know something is off. 

As everyone finishes the last verse of my birthday song, I snap back into reality, just in time to blow out the fourteen candles on my low-fat, low-sugar, no carb, no frosting birthday cake. Papa doesn't want me to get fat. I understand that. He says fat people are miserable... I don't want to end up sad. I'm happy as I am now, despite the rigorous gym schedule that sometimes collides with my school schedule. Studying and working out doesn't leave much room for socializing... so I don't have many friends. Papa doesn't seem to care, though- So I won't care. 

"How's it feel being a teenager?", I hear Oncle Feliks ask, swinging his arm around my shoulder after I had slipped away from the busy kitchen. "Like, is it any different than when you were a tween?"

"I was a teenager last year", I say, brushing off dust from my dress.

The dress I sport today is the product of oncle Arthur. He had gifted this to me first thing in the morning, and told me Papa wanted me to put it on. Oncle Arthur is more sympathetic and caring. He worries about me, I know he does, but there's no need to. As long as I am a prim and proper lady, there's no need to bother. I'm perfectly okay. The bottom half of the cream-coloured dress cuts off at the knee, and flares at the waist. It's gorgeous, and most likely expensive. I feel bad for bothering Oncle Arthur with something so trivial.

"Oop, I though you were like, twelve yesterday. Sorry Carol", Feliks laughs, slapping my back and skipping off.

I stand there, defeated and a bit overwhelmed. I should be used to everyone here- I mean, they're my family. I see them every time Papa goes to a business meeting, and they're here every holiday.. It's just so hot in here.

"Ma cherie! Happy Birthday!", Papa comes up behind me, and swings me around gracefully. "I hope you've taken some good tips on hosting today?"

I nod, despite having not payed attention all day.

"The key to being an amazing hostess, is to provide the company with a vegetable platter", he winks, motioning to the silver tray placed on the coffee table in the living room. "A lady should always learn to be a good hostess."

I nod, watching him walk away to tend to other hosting activities. I sigh, looking around once more for someone to talk to. If I can't be alone, I might as well be social. Everyone is so much older than me.. It's a bit shocking that nobody here is my age. Wait- Who's that?

A boy in a blue sailors cap is in the corner bickering with Oncle Arthur. He looks about my age- but I've never seen him before. Perhaps.. I'm not related to him? Maybe.. We could go out! My first boyfriend! I feel my heart race inside my chest, and I look around to make sure nobody's watching before making a B-Line towards him. 

"Ahem."

The two turn to me, and once the boy's eyes are on me, my legs feel like Jell-O. Time to put what Papa taught me to good use.

"Excuse me, I would like to introduce myself to this young man here. Perhaps you could spare us a bit of alone time?", I do a quick courtesy, batting my eyelashes and giving Oncle Arthur the biggest smile I can muster.

Oncle Arthur loves when I'm proper. It's exhausting, but it keeps everyone happy. 

"Please, help yourself to as much time as you need", he laughs, staring daggers at the boy. "This boy is trouble. You've got a good head on your shoulders, though. Careful, Lottie."