Chapter Fifteen- Fool Me Once, Fool Me Twice

Charlotte (Charlie, Lottie)

-----------------------------------------

Thanksgiving was a bit awkward afterwards. Of course, everyone got back to their conversations, and I received so many lovely compliments on my desserts, but there was still a tension floating about the room that no amount of chit-chat and bickering could resolve. Still, I found a way to enjoy myself by catching up with many people I haven't seen since the last World Meeting. Feliciano, Feliks, Ivan, Yao, Kiku- and many more! 

Ivan has been a mysterious fellow for a while now. When Papa threw parties, he normally would arrive with Yao, or not at all. When he sits down, everyone seems to separate themselves from his "aura". Everyone seems scared of him. It's unsettling, and he looks so lonely when Yao isn't around... It makes me sad. So, as consolation, I spent the rest of the evening by his side. He reminds me of that one grandpa that pulls quarters out of your ear and gives you farming advice. I was thinking of going to stay with him for a while. That'd be so fun!

Well, a few people decided to stay at our place for a while, considering that there was a World Meeting coming up. However, it's held in Germany, and now I have the choice of staying home with our guards that'll keep me on full lockdown, or joining him in a trip solely business related. 

Both options sound super duper extraordinarily fun. Sarcasm. Funny, non?

I walk downstairs, brushing past Matthew on my way down. I don't dare make eye contact, but I feel his eyes on me. How infuriating. In the living room, Alfred is spread out on the couch, Arthur nagging him non-stop, and Feliciano, Kiku, and Ludwig are making light conversation on the side. I amble over towards the kitchen, where Papa has an assortment of half-eaten breakfasts spread across the counter.

"I'm surprised you woke up at all today", Papa spoke, looking up from his newspaper as he sat at the table.

"Yeah.. Last night wore me out. Too many people", I reply, snagging a piece of toast and bacon.

He peers at me over his thin framed glasses, and I know what he's thinking. The daughter he raised would be completely comfortable around the presence of hundreds of people- in fact, she'd enjoy hosting a party for them, and she'd wake up at approximately 6AM to greet everyone in the morning. I await his ridicule, but instead, he just goes back to his newspaper and coffee, as if I hadn't just offended all his morals. 

"How long are the guys staying with us?", I ask, walking over and resting my chin on his forehead.

"Just for a few weeks. Ah, but you know that old bastard is still going to live with us."

I wonder who he's talking about, until I remember the only other person who lives here. Arthur. He and Papa haven't quite been getting along- Well, they haven't even been speaking much. A lover's quarrel, I suppose. They'll get over it. 

"So", he sets down his newspaper, folding it delicately before swiveling towards me. "About Bryce."

"Oh, Papa", I groan, throwing myself on the chair next to him. "You don't need to worry about him, I kicked him out, remember?"

"Oui, oui", he sighs, and I know he doesn't believe me. "It's just that he's a very irritating, and the fact that he knows our address makes me weary."

"He won't be bothering us. Trust me", I smile, and kiss the top of his head before wandering back into the living room.

I quickly snag a rose from the vase on the stand in the hallway, and slyly sneak over to Ludwig. Kiku notices me, and his face contorts as if he's just seen a ghost, but the others don't seem to notice. Poor Kiku. 

"Ahem", I clear my throat, quickly adjusting my bed-head to the best of my abilities.

Only Alfred and Arthur don't turn to me. It's just like them to shut out the rest of the world to argue. Just like him and Papa... Mon dieu! Arthur's cheating on Papa! No, no, I'll think about that later, I have a task to complete right now. I shake the thought out of my head, before gently grabbing Ludwig's hand and kneeling down. He's just... so tall that it's a bit awkward and uncomfortable. Whatever, a true flirt pushes past all obstacles!

"I'm writing a telephone book, and your number is the only one missing. Care to fill in the blank?", I wink, using my free hand to give him the rose.

Feliciano begins giggling like a toddler, immediately offering his number, but Ludwig doesn't seem to get it at first. I click my tongue, standing back up and holding the rose close to my chest.

"Luddy you're dense", I huff, handing the flower to Feli, who accepts it happily.

"Ve! Bella I'll-a give you my number! Here, here!", he whips out a pen, writing on my hand.

I stare at Ludwig, until he finally gets it. His embarrassed and bashful expression is hysterical- and his only retaliation is a sheepish chuckle, masking it as a cough.

"Dude! France, Can we LEAVE now!", Alfred's voice suddenly booms, and I wonder if the house's interior is trembling. 

"Mon dieu, FINE!", Papa stomps into the living room dreadfully, swiping his coat from the rack near the front door. "Charlie, go get dressed."

I tilt my head, raising an eyebrow. "Hold on, who said I was coming with you guys? Where are you even going?"

This catches Papa by surprise, but Feli quickly cuts through the tension. "We're-a going shopping!"

I look at Papa, with an expression that can only be summed up as 'Are you serious?'. I've been shopping in Paris since I was a damn kid! I know every shop, every restaurant, ever thrift store by heart! Why would I pass up the opportunity to stay at home?

"Papa, may I please stay home?", I ask, but I know he knows I wasn't actually asking. 

He runs his fingers through his hair, then scratches his beard, contemplating my suggestion as if he actually had a say. I'm staying no matter what he chooses. 

"Hurry up, I wanna leeeaavee!", Alfred's already halfway through the door.

"Fine! Charlie, text me every ten minutes, alright? I'll have the guards be on extra alert-" Ha! As if I can't sneak past them. I perfected that when I was fourteen. "You better be safe!"

"I'll make sure to do extra coke, thanks Papa"

Nobody found that funny. 

"Charlie-"

"LET'S GOOOO!!"

"Merde", Papa sighs under his breath. "Text me!", He quickly reminds me as the group of men shuffle out the door.

"Ciao, Bella!", Feli winks, shutting the door behind him. 

I stand there, quickly double locking the door. When I turn back around, I realize how vast the house really is. Four stories, all to myself... And the guards. They don't care though. It's easy to bribe them, or slip through them. I've had Papa's card number memorized for years now. God, what should I do first!? 

I could sing and dance around in the hallways with no repercussions- I could bake while their gone and surprise them when they get back- I could call whoever I want, I can go wherever I want- God, just another taste of sweet freedom and independence. Of course, I'll still have to text Papa every once in a while. Not every ten minutes, maybe every thirty. Ah, he's so overprotective. It's sweet. I never appreciated it when I was younger.

I glance down at my phone. What day is it? Friday. Perhaps, since I've been given this special opportunity, I could change the day of me and Bryce's date? 

My finger hovers over the 'Call' button, and just one push confirms my fate. Perhaps it won't be so bad... perhaps he really has changed. Oh, what would Papa say!? No... It's my decision now. 

"Hello?"