Chapter Thirty-Four- Draw a Circle, That's the Earth

Charlotte (France)

---------------------------------

"First things first!", I slam my papers down on the table, everyone's eyes on me. "I'll be running the World Meeting today! Any objections will be ignored and otherwise thrown in the garbage!"

"Why do you get to run the meeting!", Peter cries, standing up and jumping onto the table. "I'm England, a global super power! I should be running it!"

"Just because you grew a few inches doesn't mean you're a global superpower! I'm the hero! I should be running it!", America stands up, slamming his fists against the table. 

"None of you should be running it because you're all unqualified and childish!", Germany yells, but nobody listens. 

"I agree with Germany-"

"Pasta!~"

"I should be running it... or perhaps my magic pipe of pain will convince you otherwise-"

"Try my fortune cookies, guaranteed good fortune!"

"What did I say about self-promotion!", I point straight at China, who starts to throw around his good luck charms and cookies. 

"I'm older and your superior, you don't get to tell me anything!", he pouts, sinking back into his seat nonetheless. Russia just pats his back gently. 

"Back to work! We need to figure out this whole oil crisis-"

"Dude! Just drain the Earth's ground, it's totally easy!"

"Leave it to America to come up with ridiculous ideas", Peter scoffs, kicking his feet up. I'll never get used to seeing him all grown up- I'll also never call him England. 

"Mon amour, is someone cranky?", I coo, leaning in close to his face and smirking. "Does baby need a nap?"

A blush spreads across his face like wildfire, and he quickly scrambles to sit up straight. "I'm not a baby. I'm England!", he glares, and I just giggle. 

I go back to my seat, and through the loud bickering and quarreling going on, I spot Canada. He's watching- No, more admiring me- his cheek leaning against his palm, an affectionate smile spread across his face. I look away quickly, trying not to look embarrassed. It's probably not working. Every World Meeting, he stares at me like this! It's so distracting. 

Ah, this must be confusing. Well, mon ami, I'll start from the beginning. 

Of course, Papa and Angleterre retired. It was sad. Very, very sad. I cried a lot when they came back from signing the paperwork. Papa said he hadn't felt any different, and England agreed- but then, they told me to go see their bosses. So, I got in a taxi, and rode to the office, where I was promoted Personification of France. At first, I couldn't believe it- and then I was pissed. Papa was forcing me to take the job, just to watch him die! Well- not for that reason, but that's what it seemed like! It's been a long time since then. I realize now that, much like everything else he's done for me, he only did it to give me the best possible life. 

We threw a party to celebrate their retirement. America cried like a little baby when he found out about it, and Peter was overjoyed to become England! I was a bit shocked Arthur offered him the job, but that whole week was filled with shocking stuff. 

Papa spent a lot of time teaching me how to govern and run the country, and how to make myself known to my new citizens. It came fast- I like to think I still have shreds of my charm from LBL lessons when I was little. 

Of course, my first World Meeting was a disaster. Everyone stared at me, and then asked me questions on world problems I've done no research on! It was awful, everyone was whispering about how I'm unfit for the job, and I should hand it down to someone else. By then, I was already getting used to being a country- I couldn't just quit! When I got home, Papa reassured me that his first World Meeting was like that too. He made sure I knew I'd get the hang of it- and now, I'm running one! He'd be so proud if he could see me now!