Chapter Eighteen- You Can Be My Midnight Snack

Charlotte (Charlie, Lottie)

12AM

-------------------------------------

Bryce had texted me goodnight two hours ago. Ever since he sobered up, he's been going to bed four hours earlier, and I should be happy for him- I am. He's getting his life back together, getting more sleep, getting healthier... But right now, in this creaky, old, way too small house, I feel so lonely. I could text him, but would I really be happy if I woke him up for my own satisfaction?

But here I am, wondering if every creak from the wind against the wood is a ghost waiting to kill me, or if the branches against the window are really hands ready to grab me. I've never been a superstitious girl, Papa made sure I knew nothing paranormal existed- yet, we never really had occurrences like that in Paris. At least, not in my home. 

I sit up slowly, letting the thin blanket slide down my hips, and stretch. I try to listen for any signs of life, maybe someone getting a glass of water in the kitchen, but nothing but the rain outside greets my ears. Perhaps I should make noise of my own, then.

I wander out the door, and into the kitchen. The fridge is open- and in the illuminating light is a tall, lanky silhouette. I shriek, stumbling back ad almost tripping over my own two feet. I swear, there was no noise. Who could snag food so sneakily!? Oh.. wait.. 

"Ve! Ciao, Bella!"

"Shhh! You'll wake the others up!", I whisper harshly, scurrying over and closing the fridge. 

As my eyes adjust to the light, I realize that he's eating the rest of the gelato. You mother.. Ah, whatever. He's italian, it's just in his blood. 

"What are you doing up?", he asks quickly, leaning against the counter. "Did the ghosts give you the jeebies?"

"They weren't ghosts", I chuckle breathily, jumping up quickly and sitting on the cold marble counter. "Just the wind.. It's really loud. Why does Ludwig not get a better house? He's the ambassador to Germany, I'm sure he gets mad dough."

Feli seems confused. Why? Before I can question it, soft taps against the wooden floor catch us both off guard. I look to Feli for support, because honestly I'm scared out of my mind right now, but all he does is look at me like he's about to shit his pants. Before I can even register what's happening, a slim figure stands in the hallway, and all I can see is his silhouette. Feli starts screaming, which makes me start screaming, and he jumps into my arms. He's surprisingly light for a grown man. 

To my surprise, the figure starts screaming as well, frantically trying to reassure us and calm us down. Oh.. it's just Kiku!

"Kiku!", I yell, delighted that he wasn't some ghostly serial killer. 

I slap my hand over Feli's mouth, but the damage has already been done. Ludwig stomps in the kitchen, bat in hand, ready to swing at whatever intruder managed to slip past his mediocre security.

"What's going on?!", He asks, looking around frantically.

"Germany!!!", Feli flings himself from my arms to Ludwig's, crying hysterically in the process.

Germany? Ah, are they doing that thing where they call each other by the country they're from? I never really understood that game. Everyone tends to call each other by their real names, but sometimes it seems they just accidentally revert to their little game. I'd like to join in on it. I wonder what country I would be. Aha! I'd be France! Non.. Papa is France..

"We thought Kiku was a ghost trying to murder us", I explain, hopping down to the floor and walking over to the actually decently short Japanese man. "'Cause he's freaky."

"I'm not freaky!", he tries to defend himself, but Ludwig is already carrying Feli to the bedroom... To his bedroom.

"Do you guys share a bed?", I ask, and I would add that I don't mean to intrude- but I do mean to intrude. "'Cause if so then I wanna join!"

Ludwig stops and cracks his neck towards me. It looks threatening on the outside, but his expression is soft- embarrassed, even.

"Nein! I don't need more people invading my privacy"

"Please Luddyyy! I won't hog the blankets!"

He ponders the suggestion, then shakes his head, until Feliciano begins to persuade him. His cheery, bubbly Italian accent is hard to resist it seems, because not even five minutes later, does Ludwig motion me to the room at the end of the hall.

"Yes!", I squeal, grabbing Kiku's hand and dragging him with me.

"Wh-What are you doing!?", He quickly pulls away, a bit harsher than I had expected. 

"You're gonna join us aren't you?", I ask, tilting my head and giving him my best puppy dog eyes. "We wouldn't be a complete family without you with us."

He stares at me, and I can see his flushed cheeks through the dull darkness. He stumbles, trips over his own words, before finally sighing and holding out his hand. I grin from ear to ear, and take his hand, skipping cheerfully down the hall. 

Such a small bed for four people... We'll make it work though!

-----------------------------------

France (Francis)

--------------------------------------------

"Angleterre, what are you doing?", I ask sleepily, staring at the Brit standing ominously in the door frame, his silhouette only illuminated by the moonlight seeping through the window. "It's almost one in the morning."

He doesn't say anything as he closes the door behind him, and slowly yet timidly makes his way over to the bed. I roll over a bit, providing room for a space I know he wants to fill. If I say something, if I mock him, he'll run away. Timid sheep need to be tamed. I must let him lure himself in, and if I dangle the carrot too far, he'll take it and run. I don't want him to run.

"Just.. shut up.. wine loving bastard..", he whispers, climbing into the bed, the mattress creaking ever so slightly.

I don't try to placate my irritation with a retaliation. Instead, I gently, slowly, wrap my arms around his thin frame, and let him pull himself closer to me. I'm not sure why he's doing this... After avoiding me.. not talking to me, now he goes and does this? Oh, Angleterre, you really are going to make my heart stop, aren't you?

"Say... What are your true feelings, ma cheri?", I ask as quietly as possible.

I expect him to shoot up and start yelling, to storm out of the room as quickly as he arrived, to start screaming and trying to curse me- but he doesn't. He stays still, listening to the pattern of my breathing, to the pattern of my heartbeat, and tries to concoct a formal response.

"I don't know..", he finally answers, giving closure to literally nobody. 

"Well.. tell me.." I crawl ontop of him slowly, using as little force as possible to not scare him. "What do you feel when I do this..?"

I lean forwards, watching his eyes dart around every feature of my face until they finally close, his lips parted every so slightly, and kiss him. I wish I could do more. I wish I could kiss him as roughly, deeply- as passionately as I'd like... but I don't want him to run away. I need to be patient with this one... Hell, it's taken centuries to even take it this far. Perhaps it'd take another few centuries before I get to kiss his jaw, or his neck, or his chest..

I pull away, more so for breath than for anything else. When did my heart start beating so fast? I can feel it in my fingertips now.. I wonder if he can too. His eyes flutter open, and for the first time, I feel truly connected with him- as if something spiritually has finally clicked. 

He pushes me off of him, but doesn't get off of the bed. Instead, he pulls me close, subtly trailing my spine with his fingers. I get no answer, not tonight. I won't know how he truly feels for a while.. but just that one kiss will last me.

 I'll be content until next time.