BRETT, SHUT UP

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE:-
BRETT, SHUT UP.

Emarald's POV:-

"Phil is in the hospital." That was our cue to run to his car. Without thinking about the scraps that the branches were leaving on my arms I ran as fast as I could and fortunately this time the fence didn't hold me back. The November wind was blowing in my face rapidly and my breath was coming out in puffs in front of me. Crossing the length of the park we reached his car and finally sprinted off to the hospital.

None of us said anything till we reached there, the silence didn't make the journey easy at all. Parking in front of the hospital, we quickly entered and went straight to the reception asking the room number in which Phillip was. After the woman who looked in her early forties with jet black hair and olive eyes asked the normal 'How may I help you?' then Brett asked about the one person that was desperately on his mind for the last half hour.

"Phillip Hartwell?"

"Wait one second....... Oh, yeah room 309, the room two doors down the elevator." She smiled endearingly at us. Passing her a quick smile on the way to the elevator we were off to Phil's room. The hospital walls looked so hauntingly at me that I was getting more and more claustrophobic. Their faces were coming back to me. The lifeless faces. Dead eyes. Blank look. Taking a deep breath I swallowed the lump forming in my throat.

This wasn't the time to wallow in self pity, Brett needed me and I would be damned if I wasn't there with him. I clutched his hand tightly giving him a reassuring smile. We didn't see the room first the room saw us first. I mean Alana and the boys were sitting outside except for Jake and Tomas who saw us first. We walked towards them, Brett engulfing his mother in a hug. My inner self swooned while I gave a side smile.

"What happened to him?" I voiced my thoughts and Zach started the explaining part.

"Phil was playing hide and seek with Tris and Steve. So when he went to hide downstairs, he fell down the stairs in a rush, the result being him with a twisted ankle and broken leg." I grimaced, they did have a long set of stairs, Phil must have fell pretty hard.

"Can we meet him?" Brett was speaking through gritted teeth.

"Yes, Jake is in there." My mouth formed an 'O'.

"You should all go home, it's really late." Brett himself stifled a yawn and my eyes found there way to my phone screen which lighted up to tell me it was half past twelve.

"No, I'd stay." Alana tried to put her word.

"No, you're not staying. You're tired and haven't slept in ages." He reasoned like the good boy he is. Opening her mouth to protest, Alana's eyes fell on me and she shut herself back up. Taking her purse from hospital chairs, she squeezed my hand on the way and took all the boy band with her.

"Come on, Phil will die listening to Jake." I joked,trying to lighten up the mood somehow. Brett passed me a very rueful smile to which I stopped him by grabbing a hold of his hand. I put one hand on his face and made him look me in the eyes with my other hand still holding his hand.

"Hey, look at me. He's here, he's fine. There's no need to worry." Saying each word separately helped a lot and also made him relax.

"Now let's go inside." I announced, clapping my hands for extra enthusiasm. It was annoying even for me but it made a grin to crack up on his face. Hand in hand, we went inside. The sight inside cracked me up badly, Phil's left leg had a plaster wrapped which wasn't as neat now because Jake drew really disturbing images there for which Phil was jumping from his resting position to see what the genius had drawn. Brett went ahead and whacked Jake on the back of his head.