T H R E E

C H I H U A H U A

"Okay, there's food in the fridge, but if it's not enough or you're craving something else I left some cash in the first drawer of my dresser for you. Keep your phone on please; I'm most likely going to call to check up on you. The escape stair case is to the right of the—"

"Dallas, you're going to class for a couple hours, not leaving me alone to fend for myself for a couple years.'

"I know," Dallas sighed as he picked up his keys from the counter, "I just worry."

"Well don't."

"Not that simple, Naomi." Dallas approached the front door, his head turning around once he grabbed the door knob, "if you need anything, and I mean anything, call me, text me, or whatever. You know how to contact me."

"Okay, Dad" I joked.

He rolled his eyes. "I'm serious. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

"You know I wouldn't."

"I don't know, it's like I don't even know you anymore..." His voice cracked as he looked down at his feet.

"Dallas..." I spoke softly. I didn't want to make him feel that way, but words just seemed to slip right out of my mouth.

"It's whatever. I have to get to class."

The front door slammed behind him.

I sighed as I plopped down on the phone and looked down at my fists. I had them clenched without realizing it. I pouted as I relaxed them.

The muffled rap music playing in Ethan's room became unmuffled for a second as he left his room wearing a black hoodie and grey athletic shorts, before he shut the door behind him. He dragged his feet across the small apartment before stopping in front of me and folding his arms.

"Can I help you?" I asked as my eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm going to get another tat; you're coming with me."

"Uh, no I'm not?" I questioned. Who did he think he was? He couldn't demand that I'd go anywhere with him.

"You don't have a choice. Dallas said I couldn't leave you here alone and I already decided I was going to get a tattoo today."

"Of course," I grumbled. Why did Dallas have to treat me as if I was a baby? "You don't have to listen to him."

"I rather not lose my only friend I have left, thank you very much."

"I'm not getting up."

"I'll drag you if I have to."

"You won't."

In one motion he grabbed my wrist and pulled me up from the couch. Somehow, he managed to be gentle yet forceful at the same time. Don't ask me how he did it, I really don't know.

"Hey! I don't want to go!" I complained.

"Too bad, Chihuahua." Ethan laughed lightly. "Where's your shoes?"

And just like that, I had no option but go with him. I sure wasn't happy about it, but it could've been worse. 

Honestly, considering the day before, I'd much rather go somewhere with Ethan than Dallas. Although I trusted Dallas more, his constant worrying only made me feel worse than I already did. With Ethan, I didn't have that problem because Ethan didn't care about anything.

I walked down the side walk, surrounded by building as Ethan led the way through the city. Tall buildings were on either side of us.

"You're lucky I don't hate you," I told Ethan. "I've been hating most people lately."