F O U R T E E N

E A R L Y

The taste of mint lingered in my mouth as I left the bathroom after having had just brushed my teeth. A yawn escaped my mouth and I made my way towards my suitcase where earlier I had set out Wes' old hoodie.

I held onto the large sweatshirt; the fabric of was bunched in my small hands. I brought the hoodie up to my nose. The faintest bit of his scent was still alive in the hoodie. I smiled weakly at the last thing I had left of my best friend.

I still missed Wes deeply. A day wouldn't pass that I wouldn't miss him. Some days were harder than others. But I'd like to say I had become better at dealing with my grief.

Sure, I still held onto the hoodie like a child holds his blankie. But at least I was no longer drowning in negative, scary thoughts. At least I cared again.

I felt as if I did a better job at being stronger about it. Perhaps it was time, perhaps it was being around with Ethan, or perhaps it was getting away from Florida. Perhaps all three.

I took the hoodie with me back into the bathroom to change into it. And quickly did so.

I jumped when I walked into something, or rather someone, as I left the bathroom in the hoodie.

Ethan.

"hey..." he spoke lowly

"Oh, hi."

"Your favorite hoodie I'm guessing?"

"It is. I don't think it'll ever not be my favorite."

"How come do you wear it every night? You don't want to ware it out or something."

"Because his scent fades overtime and I don't want to lose my chance to hold onto all that's left"

"His? Is Wes him?" Ethan's eyes softened.

I nodded slowly.

"Come here," he spoke as he held his arms out.

I walked to him and wrapped my arms around his torso as he wrapped his around mine; he held me tightly. My cheek rested on his chest and we rocked slowly. His hug felt warm and safe.

"Life sucks," he murmured. "You and I know that better than anyone."

"You could say that again." I laughed weakly as we pulled apart.

I looked down at my feet and tried to force a smile but I couldn't. I missed Wes a little bit extra in that moment for no particular reason. And that's one hundred percent okay.

Some days are simply worse than others.

Ethan stood with a facial expression as if he were searching for the right words to say what he wanted to say. "Uhh," he stalled as he looked up at the ceiling a scrunched his eyes. Releasing a deep breath, he brought his eyes back to my own.

"A-are you going to sleep on the air mattress tonight?"

"Yeah, where else would I sleep? It's really not as big of a deal as my family makes it seem. It's not like I was getting a goodnight sleep after the accident at all anyways."

"I don't know, Nai. I think I might agree with them. It's not healthy to lack so much sleep."

"It's not like I don't sleep at all. I get some sleep; just not like I did before the accident."

"Listen, my offer from earlier is still on the table. I don't care if your uncle opposes it. I want you to be able to get a good night's sleep."

"Okay." I nodded. "Thank you."