{1}

//

//

The key fits to the lock, and the door creaks. Awry. Something is amiss, my intuition is on, my gut instinct to flee.
I slip my toes from each stiletto confine.

Each measly step is quieted with my walk, barely lifting from the carpeted tile, using the pads of each over my heels.
My curse is inaudible, just a mouth as I process I'm weaponless. After five years of no interruptions from my day job I had no more concern for my self security, my firearms tucked away to my safe.

"I am armed." I announce, swapping an empty hand for a serrated blade as I pass the knife block. "And I can vow to you I am not afraid to use it."

"Oh believe me, I know."

I just about chuck the edge to the noise, my pulse racing like a freight train as I take him in.

"Mr. Stark, you couldn't have just fucking knocked?" I lash, giving him a flak. But he's paying no mind, loafers kicked up onto the coffee table, blossoming in my irascible tangent.

"If I'd knocked, would you have bothered to answer it?"

He's up and round, choosing to face head on, even as I wield a steak knife mere feet from him. And before I can respond he's back on his claws. "Ah-Ah, the answer is no. Because you think I'd be here on SHIELD business. To coax you out of retirement."

I cue him to move on, leaving the tension in my jaw to settle and the knife to marble.

"Why else would you be here?" It's more of a mock to his changed ways, and I take a jab at his reactor. "I have no desire to take part in Furys' bullshit any longer."

His hand takes to rest over mine.
"This is my own bullshit, and you're just the woman I need on my side, you can weaken them-" and then it's just a plead. "Let me talk, Leia."

I carry on my merry way, taking off to pour a glass, of what I can't recall but something good to forget it all. And when I hear him shuffle in behind me I can't help to air out a sigh before I signal him to speak.

"The Avengers must sign the Sokovia Accords, which just establishes an international governing body to control our movements, monitor and police. And I'm game on. But, not all of us are."

I spare a glance, brow creasing in question. How is that to do with me?

"I'm short staffed on my team, I need someone to get their heads in this game. There's going to be a war, and it's going to tear the Avengers apart."

I can feel the hanker pull me in to the tease. An opportunity to get back to what I'm born into, a good fight.

"Is this why you're here, to recruit me for your own little team?"

I can hear him huff through his nose in frustration, that of a child. "I wouldn't call it little.."

"I'll do it. But, I have to know more. Gotta know if I should pack my thigh holsters."

"On the Quinjet. Get to steppin Agent."

My glare pierced, & even behind his cool exterior I know I've got his heart rate rocketing.

"None of that, I'm retired. This is just a favor for an old friend. You'll owe me."