{7}

//

//

The apartment has become insipid, like a sup from a tap in our cease. Whilst the dawns rise, we halt, awaiting arrival. Sam Wilson, he is the reason for our slack, waiting for him to cover his tracks before he's to join this trio.

And it will send me to lunacy, just a pane away from the suns glare, latched in by none other than Steve.

He is intent on my fortification, the metaphorical wall of defense being him, the attack being the outside. Or there all, the people.
It was vexing. I needed no sheltering, if I were arrested I could plead to exoneration, strut a free woman - it was no challenge but hell-bent he was.

"When I chose to take part of your team Mister Rogers, I chose on my own free-will, I did not sign my right to you!" It's strident in exaggeration, raucous to my own ears but it does nothing to phase him, build propped to the door. "Please Agent Reid, the neighbors." He chastises, tone nearly guttural in comparison. And I want to just take myself back to that fight in the Airport and truly drive my elbow to his sternum with a frenzy.
Yet I comply, my tonality dropping in intensity. "I'm livid, Steve. I'm going unhinged, I have the uphold over myself. You do not need to be my god damn hero in the five minutes I go to compose my sanity in fresh air."

And I know he wants to cave in, I can see the familiar penitence glimmer in his blues but there is no budge, just a flex of each bicep as he crosses them to his core. I want to bask him in my resentment, sputter the curses but I'm at hush - asserting it all with a cold gaze fixed on the anxious old man, scrutinizing him.

And yet I couldn't falter a negative thought.

Chiseled like a god, blonde gelled back in a classic style, bristles of a five o' clock shadow, but that wasn't what left me at silence- it was the uncertainty in his hunched posture, the gnawing at his cheek, the brush of his fingers to my bicep. "I'm not doing this because of a belief of your incapability." He's that of ice, nearly melting just at a touch of my arm, so demure. "I would have left you to watch over Buck if I didn't believe you to be capable to keep up. I'm doing this because if you get captured.. I have nothing but Sam."

And the admittance is paltry, but so significant to me. "I will agree if there is one condition."

And he's like a puppy, his back is straightened, the nervous aura shaken away.

"You have to take me to sweat in this marvelous weather as soon as possible."

And we are in clear agreement, his touch melting from me with hesitancy, eyes cast to floor. "Of course."

//

"Woman? Is that meant to insult me?" It's that of a hiss, kicking the creature down and out of the jet, flailing to their demise. "Pitiful."

There wasn't much that had happened over the span of this weeks time besides constant, unyielding missions.
Ain't no rest for the wicked. The Wicked being, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers and Leia Reid, wanted men. Well, the standard discomfort that came as a package deal with us now; wasn't wicked.
Sam had familiarized himself with it shortly after he joined in our dining unannounced the very eve of our engrossing argument - he actively chooses to set gas to the flame each time the tension rises. Just the man to take the piss in it all.

I yank a blade from the throat of anew, tossing my neck to come out from a curtain of hair, quick to catch Steve's heavy ogle, even with the blue blood on our hands he's got a strange fawn.

"I don't think I can fly this spaceship, wasn't really in the job description." I crack, rising from kneel, fists to hips.
Sam takes a jab to the smoke pooling the cabin, encasing us slowly. "Won't be a problem, this plane is goin down, let's go."

And Sam offers hand, spinning me round in dance to his chest, sly yet respectful in his touch. "Anyone ever say you have massive-" And I silence him with an eye of steel, Steve pausing his shift of the parachute to share an identical glare. "I was just going to say biceps.."
If it wasn't my life to risk, I'd flip from the ship on my own self.
"See you on the other side, Captain Rogers."

//

The SSR were like flies on crud over the plane, & as anticipated there was no news reports on the ship, I perched to the couch, ice to my thigh; waiting for something, anything on it. "Sam has meals going."

I feel the couch dip to my left, but I barely notice, brows furrowing solemnly to the TV. "I need to know what they're finding on that ship."

"What's left of it." Steve is at a soothe, trying to maintain some level of professionalism with my inner thigh exposed to his sight - he was no prude, but it felt indecent to make eyes.

No matter how hard it could be, I wasn't asking for his attentions in anyway but the way her dark eyes radiated a fierce, uncompromising intelligence to his conciliation, the flush of her cheekbones, it left him to a loss. It was all the more to awe. "Can I ask you more on you?"

He sounds eerily like Vision, and the guilt of betrayal shrouds me. "Yes." Please. Distract me.

"When you left SHIELD, how did you feel?"

And it's most definitely a distraction. I can't help a look of amusement, a little tingle to my tear ducts. "Incomplete, truly. I wasn't one who desired the domestic life, wanted to be serving as an agent til death."

I stir in my seat, biting down on my tongue gently to stop a pillar of words from a waterfall. "Was so unprivileged in ways outside of that job, I felt empowered as an agent but I will never allow Fury to do me wrong like that, not again."

And I rest my hand to his knee, tense under my palm. "Which is why to be invited to join this team was a riot, you see me as an equal, Mister Rogers." I shake my head, taking a bite to my lip. "I take it very much to heart."

And a quiet contentment spread through him, fingers slip over mine. "It's real nice to find the right partner.." There's a brief silence, the two of us a flurry of fluttering lashes. "As in-, for this team."

I nod, although I sense the deception; a flash of teeth. "You'll have to open up soon."

And the touch is lost, our brush of hands turns clammy. "Soon." He insists, rising from the plush. "Come, let's eat."