{12. END OF ACT 2)

Embers spark from the blistering flame, records play in a tight alcove

Christmas is gone as quick as it came, celebrated in wine and Home Alone, to educate Steve: swear it. But, with the snowfall gone, we must move on.

"Steve," I pop into frame of the door, tucking my hands to each elbow. "I want to make a stop in Wakanda."

He makes eyes to me in the mirror, fastening his suit in. "Bucky?" And I nod in response, a coy smile threatening to grow. "Of course."

Sky of tangerine with radiant white wisps of cloud, blended to the horizon. Hearing murmurs and voices, the wind blows round in our landing. "This is Wakanda?"

I can't help a gentle titter, the expression of perplex residing on Sam enough to crack at my deteriorating emotional sanity, and Steve just kinda huffs a weak laugh — he hasn't smiled in so long. My initial plan to see Bucky was to give him a reason to be happy; and I just hope it works.
"Thank you." Steve greets without warning, stepping from the platform to shake the Kings hand, and I see Sam hesitate to bow. "Don't." I chastise quietly, pushing to his spine to straighten him out.

"I think I'm the man of the hour."

And I nearly trip over my own foot, taking long strides to him. Bucky stands tall, layered in scarves, sporting a new kind of energy to him. He looks genuinely at peace. "Sorry I wasn't there when you woke." I embrace, tucking my chin to his shoulder. "Steve talked some sense into me."

He steps back, scanning me over, brows arise. "If you're still single after all these months I'm gonna be the one to sweep you off your feet."

His mouth flashed a blurred flirt and he moved forth to hug Steve, leaving me to a lone flush, casted downward glance; I happen to miss the gentle beam Rogers emits.

My eyes flicker like candlelight, and Sam is the only to notice, ghosting his knuckles over my back, a nod in knowing. "She asked to check up on you."

And he laughs, a true one, burrowed deep in his chest: and it brings salt to swell in my vision. He's better.

"Actually, I came to ask for solitude." I twist my attention to the king, smoothing out my skirt. "If you would see that to be alright, I'd like keep the White Wolf company."

It was a rash decision, and I couldn't see the sudden possessiveness rise with Steve's heavy breath.

"Are you sure about this?" T'challa wasn't vocal often, brow at a quirk. I just nod in approval. "You will always be welcome."

Steve paced, kicking up dirt with every heavy foot as I embraced Sam, feeling heavy in his arms. "You know you don't have to do this, we need more players on our field."

I smooth my hand over the back of his head, he tipped his mouth in goodbye, swallowing down the plead he wanted to say: just to get me to stay. "I'll be back for the fight, I just can't sleep at night knowing he's in an unfamiliar place with new faces."

The trek to the Captain felt long, every gentle step was a mimic of his long strides to me and he looked frozen, stoic in ice. "Steve, I—"

No words, he just pulled me to him, chin jut into his chest, if it hurt he didn't complain.

"I'm sorry, I can't spend my days hiding away forever. Promise you'll come back for us?"

And it's crushing, the compass sat heavy in my satchel, a reminder. But —

With the smoldering look he rest upon me, Sam's back turned away, the last thing on his mind is the aged artifact as he leans in.

Frost lips brush against mine, and my frostbitten heart, destined to never grow fond of another melts into him. My eyes are dimmed through sunglasses, my body absorbing his warmth through jeans and the small black shirt: I'm stuck in the grassy field, in a lucid daze.

Like that it's over, and we stand there, saying nothing, basking in the suns hue.
There is nothing left to say.

"Was saving that for the right time." He admits, letting himself fall back astep, glancing at Bucky all knowingly watching from over the broadness of Sam.

"Was that not now?" I murmur, the flush taking a kick at my words, shaking like my hands do, tucked to my back to hide.

"Now or never."

We smile.

"This definitely cannot be goodbye, you better stay alive out there, we'll be waiting on you." I latch back onto him, pressing a chaste kiss to the beard that's begun to spur.

"Not goodbye, just a see you soon."