{10}

FLASHBACK SCENE

//

"Peach!"
I barely hear the call just the creak of the door is enough to send me scrambling from the sheets like a pup, at a skid down the hall, the elation pulsing.

"There's my favorite girl." Leo's tone is wispy, soft like heated butter at the sight of me, posture straightening out in a hope to have grown taller than me.

My rush to his embrace is cut as I take him all in, a yellowed sock to his jaw, fresh, a sewn scar cross his brow. "Your first field mission and you look so beaten." I coo, careful to take hold of his face, I could weep.

"Yeah? Well, you should see the other guy." And he's got this zesty fire in him, the corner of his mouth at a quirk. Even after taken to a pulp he's got his charm. I twine hands and take hold down the hall, the CD player whirring around to the tune of Frank Sinatra.

"Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars." I'm at a whisper, and I give him a twirl, knowing full well he wouldn't object. "Feel like it's been weeks, I've just been keeping track of your mission with the Director, I want to get out on that field."

His smile is cracked, going solemn.
He takes seat to the edge of the bed, perching me between each his knees. "You deserve to be fighting out there more than anyone."

I do beam, his words stick true, he saw my potential - when no other would. "You are all I long for, all I worship and adore." He sings, taking each of my hands in his, callused thumbs running over my smooth.

I see his focus, a gnaw at his lip, usually I would stop his anxious act but the way his glance flutters, I sense something serious.

"I've got pie in the oven-"
And he takes a firmer grip of me, and it's startling, his eyes go gloss.

"If I asked you to marry me, would you?"

And I'm jawed, a step back a hand to my heart, but with the crinkle of his nose, the fidgeting of his now freed hand, yanking the ring from his pocket. I feel the warmth pool over me.

"I know it's fast." And he's rushed, quick to leap to his feet, distance closing between us. "But, if something happens out there.. I'll never get to have this moment with you."

There's no tears to fall, just the burn at my retinas, the fuzzing of my vision.
I've found true unadulterated love, and though I can just see the vex cross my father at the news - I nod.

//

"Leia?"
With the sound I'm up and striding, tightening the robe round my waist, the jewel perched round my finger, sized just right. Exuberant by the thought of having a night together again, but my quickened pace falls slowly, the frame bodied by coworkers. They don't say a word, but the empty presence galvanizes my senses. "Stark," I greet, though it's thin, pulling the silk further over my figure. "Is there an emergency? You could have called, I'd have been there ASAP."

And Fury enters, heavy footed to the wood, hands clasped to his front. I'm suddenly evasive, I know what's coming and if nobody gives pity, I can act as if nothing is wronged in the world. "I've made cookies, you're welcome in." The cry builds, the salt at its brimming point, mascara starting a smudge under my lash. My step is inordinate, desperate to get way, but they follow, and I want to hiss, I want to scream as I lift the pan from its bake, clicking the oven off.

"The commandant of SHIELD has entrusted me to express his deep regret that your fiancé Leo was killed in action in Germany. The agency extends their deepest sympathy to you and your loved in your loss."

I tremble, settling the heated metal to straight marble with a crash, and Tony is to my side in a heart beat, taking the glove from my hand and wrapping each digit carefully between his. And he rocks me, my heavy breath extends to a fit of sniveling, keeping my back to the wall of Agents. I mutter an apology, muscles tremor in his touch.

Stark was never the empathetic type, but he wasn't a Stark in that moment as he brushed them way, waiting til the door was at a close to let me crumble to his chest, horrific heaving making its escape. I can hear music drone, the Doris Day seeping through the cracks of our cracked door.

My door.

Sweet dreams til sunbeams, find you.

He takes a lift to my legs, biceps at a strain with every convulse and kick I throw.

Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you.

"It's going to be alright."
It's a lie, right through his teeth as he settles me to plush, the music piercing by now.

But in your dreams, whatever they be.

He lay flat beside, scooping me to his side, fingers tapping to the CD.
I dream to be the one six feet under, feeling nothing but eternal bliss instead of the crumbling of my life beneath me.

Dream a little dream of me.