Finding Her Voice (edited)

"Here we are sweet girl." Klaus's voice vibrated through his chest where he cradled her. "Your new home." He ticked her nose softly to help bring her attention to his words. "I'm sure you're famished."

She slowly pulled away from her safe spot and turned the slightest bit to find several persons sanding along side the largest table she'd ever seen, set with wonderful smelling foods. Some of her favorites from centauries past. She looked up into his eyes silently to ask his permission to eat, her nose merely inches from his own.

"I've prepared several of my favorite dishes, because I wasn't sure what you'd like. I made mostly poultry, I figured it would most likely be something you'd enjoy." He said as he sat her down in a soft chair all to her own.

As soon as she was set into her seat the first man walked towards her, extending his wrist. She instinctively snatched his arm and clamped down into it drinking deeply until the man fell to her feet, and she was left gasping for air like a child after drinking an entire glass of water without coming up for air. She looked at him, contemplating how slow he seemed to have collapsed.

"Slowly my dear. You'll get a stomach ache if you eat to quickly." Klaus chided softly, bending at the knee to whisper softly into her ear and running a finger tenderly across her jaw.

She jerked her head to look up at him. Quietly admiring his features. She mulled over all the things she had longed to say to him since she was a child. He could see her thoughts swimming behind her eyes, her tongue and lips moved incrementally in a way that indicated she couldn't seem to find the words she needed.

"Go on then, eat up. Slowly now." He reminded her sitting down beside her, leaning towards her to help keep her relaxed. To help himself relax too he admitted internally.

Hesitantly she reached out and took the next wrist offered to her, her eyes glued to Klaus's as if to ask if she was doing it right. She drank much slower this time, watching him from the corner of her eye even until the very last drop.

Klaus smiled encouragingly to her, and placed a small portion of everything on her plate to try, keeping his eyes on hers for the most part so that she felt safer. As she ate his siblings all sat around the table for dinner, excited to talk with her. They followed suit in remaining silent, or at least quiet while they drank and ate their respective suppers.

After some time of silence and all of the dinner guests had expired, Elijah asked curiously. "So Merit, do you know where we are?" He seemed to recall her being a shy girl, and very child like in nature.

She nodded silently with her mouth full and darted her eyes desperately back to her long lost protector.

"It's been so long since we've seen you darling. I almost forgot what a beauty you are." Rebekah smiled at the quiet girl before them. The siblings looked at one another quietly assessing her avoidance of the conversation. Her refusal to communicate verbally didn't necessarily speak volumes to them, but it did leave them all a little concerned for the poor girl. Collectively, they all recalled her rarely speaking to anyone really.

Merit nodded again. This time she did glance up at the family before her. She recognized everyone aside from Freya. She could tell by her features that she was family, but didn't recall her from any of her memories. She silently watched them, from under her lashes, watching her. It was evident they anticipated a conversation from her. But she'd never directly spoken to any of them aside from Klaus, who she knew was her selected mate before she had ever been encased.

"Maybe we should let her settle in before the interrogation starts?" Klaus growled at them. They seemed to understand she was overwhelmed and under fed, well enough to leave it at that. "Would you like that?" He cooed softly at the timid girl, nuzzling her cheek gently.

She nodded at this, leaning deep into his chest and tucking herself under his chin. She didn't mean to silence the table, and wished to herself that they would get a conversation going again without having to participate.

"Dear child, I don't want you to feel pressured, but we are all quite curious about you." Elijah glanced around to the others as he spoke up, after a moment of silence.

She glanced over at him, and smiled politely before motioning towards her mouth. As if to say 'I'm eating'.

After a tense and silent meal the siblings slowly trickled out until only Klaus and Merit remained at the table. She had hardly moved from her spot, pressed into his chest like a scared child, despite having finished off nearly every morsel on her plate, and four persons.

"You are just as exquisite as I recall." Klaus smiled fondly at her, tracing the tip of his middle finger across her lips and cheek.

"I'm sorry." She whispered softly to ensure that only he could hear her, knowing that even one decibel more and even Elijah and his company hidden in the back of the house would be able to hear her.

"Whatever for?" He chuckled softly and turned her to face him directly. Stunned by her apology.

She shrugged. Far to shy to say anymore with him looking directly into her eyes.

"For being shy?" He mused. When she nodded he laughed. "Don't apologize my sweet girl. I seem to recall that you were always the shy one." He smiled and took her hand. "I know why. That wicked mother of yours never allowed you to utter a single phrase without ridiculing you for it." His face took on an expression that was very new to her, it was dangerous yet alluring to her. "That petulant woman was nothing more than that of a boulder crushing your soul."

She nodded at this, a single tear falling down her soft pale cheek.

"Do not for a moment think that you are not highly valued here my darling." He wiped her tear and kissed her cheek. "We simply adore you."

She smiled shyly at this and bit her lip, tucking herself back into his chest, with her face in his throat. She wanted to speak with him. Her heart raced and she was starting to feel on edge. With her hunger subsided and her belly full of delicious food, she wanted to do something fun. Something that they could do together. That maybe didn't require any speech at all.

Always seeming to read her thoughts Klaus spoke softly. "Would you like to paint? You can spend time getting comfortable with my presence." He hummed softly as if the sound itself was a question. "Does that sound like fun to you?"

She nodded in his arms, smiling to herself. She sat up a little bit and lifted her arms to him like she used to when she was younger, out of muscle memory she tried to tell herself. But deep down she knew that she just wanted to be cradled in his arms again. She knew that she longed to be tucked tightly into his chest and rocked the way he'd done centuries ago. She recalled the way he'd sway back and forth telling her dazzling stories about princess fairies and dashing prince imps, before he returned her home with a gentle kiss to her head and promises of a beautiful day the next if she could just be brave and endure the long night alone.

He jostled her from her memories as he scooped her up into his arms and resting her on his hip. Shock kept her from squirming against his solid frame, but she strongly felt the urge to curl up tight into his chest and never come back out. And emotional bliss kept her from protesting once she had settled in. She had always loved it when he'd held her as a small girl. This was something else, this was new and comforting among other new emotions that she couldn't make sense of yet.

She absolutely loved being held. She'd always refused to stop being the baby, as her mother used to complain. She didn't care who thought she was childish. There was something purely euphoric about being held by the man you wanted to give yourself entirely to. Her time, thoughts, affections, and control.