Little Girls Don't Bite (edited)

Klaus rolled over in his sleep, his mind creating an image of his sweet Merit sitting straight up and panting like a pup before their first shift. Her bones slowly began splintering and breaking, causing her to whine and gasp against the lump in her throat as she slowly and painfully shifted into an abnormally large pure white wolf. Her bright yellow eyes shone when she crawled out from under the sheets whining to herself and trying her best to avoid waking her mate while looking around in confusion. He wanted to sit up and soothe her when she turned her sad and longing eyes towards him, but one can never seem to control their dreams, he thought to himself with annoyance.

She paced on the bed for a while, staring at his peaceful form asleep under the sheets. Her head swung back and forth as if she were fighting an internal battle. She jumped off of and back onto the bed several times over the night, pacing around the bed but never venturing away from it as would be expected behavior from Merit.

Shaking and scared of what had happened to her, and probably scared of what could happen to her, she pawed at Klaus, deciding that she needed to wake him after all. Her large wolf trembling adorably in his shirt that had managed to stay in tact during her shift, most likely due to its size, even now her front paws swam in it. She whined like a pup scared to pee the carpet and dug quickly into the blanket in an attempt to pull him out of his sleep.

He could feel her need for his touch and attention with each sad and broken cry for him, and the way she pushed his arm with her snout made his heart break even more. He wanted so badly to pet her fur and to comfort her, but he couldn't seem to move or wake his sleeping self no matter how much he willed it within his subconscious.

Suddenly, she lunged forward. Her face appeared to be frightened and decidedly against her own actions. It was as if she were being compelled against her will to snap her teeth around his wrist, just as a sharp pain pulled him from his sleep.

Klaus immediately sprang up, roaring in a primal rage. He punched the wolf, standing over him, snarling with his blood coating its fur, across the room.

A frightened yelp of pain mixed with fear startled him, to say the least. He turned to find his little mate missing from her spot beside him. Without further investigation, he sped across the room, realizing his horrible mistake. He knelt down before the snarling wolf he had wronged.

"I'm so sorry, my sweet angel." He reached forward tentatively. "Come here. I won't hurt you, darling." He pulled his hand back out narrowly, avoiding her teeth as they snapped at him. "Come here, love. What's wrong?" He shushed and cooed in order to coax her into his lap before hugging her tightly and kissing her head gently. Her body slowly shattered all over again as she returned to her human form.

Her small frame shook and trembled in his lap. All he could smell on her was fear.

"Breathe love. It's ok. I'm here, sweet angel, I will never hurt you again." He stroked her over his shirt, wincing for her when he heard her bones snapping painfully back into place. "That's it. Breathe through it." He glanced around the room for any explanation as to her transformation.

"I'm scared." The soft voice brought his attention back to her. "I had a bad dream." She clung to him, shaking like the last leaf atop a tall sycamore tree in a heavy wind.

"Tell me what happened." He stroked her hair with the hand that wasn't pulling her closer for her comfort.

"I went back to sleep." She sniffled in despair.

"You're afraid to sleep?" He asked, understandably confused considering the instrument of his waking along with the hour.

"No." She paused, understanding his confusion. "Not of sleeping. Going back to sleep, without you." She sat up to look him directly in the eyes. Fear, sadness, despair, longing, all written plainly in her eyes for him to read. "When I was asleep, I could see and hear everything. I felt pain and hate. I felt rage and disgust. I felt everything that man had to offer, and all that man had done to destroy that, along with any hope. I watched the world burning and tearing itself apart at their vile hands. I don't want to go back to sleep." She panted softly, having spoken more then than she had in her entire life at one moment.