Sweet Angel to the Rescue (edited)

Klaus walked home cradling a sleeping Merit, after exploring the city together for hours. She'd fallen asleep after dragging him every place that she had decided looked lively and exciting.

After returning home, he sat down at the dining room table that was conveniently in the process of being set for a meal. Secretly Nicklaus relished proper family meals, so this was a delight.

"Did she have fun?" Rebekah asked emerging from behind a pillar in front of the kitchen door with a tray of croissant's in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other.

"She did." Klaus confirmed with an amused smile. "She wanted to see everything. And I'm fairly positive we did." He chuckled softly.

"I can imagine. The world has changed so much since she was last awake." She smiled sweetly at the sleeping woman, brushing her finger tips over her plump rosy cheeks as she passed by. "I can imagine that seeing it in her sleep is a far cry from experiencing it in person."

"I believe she did say something to that affect a few hundred times." He laughed with true humor sparkling in his eyes as he recalled her antics from earlier in the day.

"I'm so glad to see you happy." Rebekah said kissing his cheek. She paused and pointed the bottle at Klaus. "And you'd better be careful or someone may actually believe the fierce Niklaus Mikaelson is capable of enjoying himself."

"Shhhhhh." Klaus cautioned sharply. "Don't say that to loud. Merit will fret that someone is going to attack me for it." He chuckled lightly, easing the tension he had intentionally created by shushing his sister.

"She's a protective little girl isn't she?" She commented, satisfaction written across her face.

"Yes." Merit sat upright yawning and hugging Klaus. "My Daddy is safe with me." She stated it as a fact.

"I'm very glad to hear it little one." Rebekah kissed her cheek softly.

"I'm thirsty." Merit mumbled looking around for someone to snack on.

"I bought a few glasses just for that." Rebekah handed both Klaus and Merit a glass before pouring what Klaus had assumed, until now, was a bottle of whine into both of their glasses. Deep crimson blood seemed to sparkle in the glass causing Merit to drool. And Klaus to nod in approval.

"Thank you." Merit smiled taking the glass and taking a bit gulp. Her nose twitched in disgust after she managed to gag it down. "This is cold."

Klaus laughed. "Yes, that's because we get our blood from a blood bank and store it in the cellar to avoid to many bodies being left around."

"Oh." Was all she decided to say before she finished her glass while staring off blankly at the wall ahead of her. Dissatisfaction was evident in her stark blue eyes as she politely set the glass down onto the table while feigning a smile of gratitude.

It never ceased to amaze Klaus how her eyes always shifted from blizzard white, to lightning storm blue based on her mood and surroundings. He mused that right now they were more white than they were blue.

Elijah and Alison joined them for dinner after a short while, but tonight Freya did not seem so inclined as to grace them with her presence. During their meal Merit felt guilty about Freya's absence, even though Elijah attempted to assure her that Freya just had some things to attend to away from home for the evening and that she wasn't to blame for their sisters absence. Even Kol attended dinner silently. He was a goofy guy, joking and hollering with his siblings always a bit more obscenely than the rest of course. She didn't doubt that Klaus simply kept her away from this particular sibling.

Merit, perceptive as any Seer should be, didn't even consider buying the malarkey they were trying to feed her, but decided that she would let it alone and enjoy the evening with the siblings who had decided to attend and appreciate that they clearly adored her, and accepted her for who she was.