Sweetest Demon in Town (edited)

Merit woke a second time to softly murmuring voices. She rolled over to find the bed empty, herself covered with a blanket, and a dim light just a few feet away in the small sitting area that Klaus had been kind enough to put together for her to hide away in. She sat up rubbing the sleep from her eyes and stretching out her small frame while yawning, not unlike a kitten after a nap.

"Good morning, sweetheart!" Klaus cooed from one of the plush chairs. "Did you enjoy your nap?" He asked sweetly.

"Yes." She blushed a lovely shade of pink.

"Elijah came to make sure I wasn't murdering you." He gestured to his brother, who was sitting across from him. "Wasn't that nice?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell." Her utter embarrassment was evident.

"It's quite alright." Elijah smiled, his eyes twinkling with humor. "Alison has caused trouble in the same way before. You certainly aren't alone in that."

Suddenly, Alison's face came into view from behind the coffee table where she had apparently been coloring. "I still do sometimes." Her little face bright pink. "It's alright, no one's mind." She repeated the words Elijah had clearly said so many times before. It almost sounded scripted.

"Oh." Was all she said before slipping out of the sheets and into the closet to get dressed. Once she was fully clothed, she pranced around the corner to settle into Klaus's lap. "What are you talking about?" Her curiosity outweighing her mortification.

"Elijah was inviting us out." Klaus smiled, tucking her hair over her shoulder and behind her ear. "Would you like to go out and explore a little more?"

"Is Rebekah coming?" She asked hopefully.

"I most certainly am." She smiled as Rebekah appeared out of thin air. "I was wondering where you had all disappeared to."

"Just Klaus's room for once." Elijah teased. "You're wonderful for him, Merit. He's never been as much fun as he is now."

"That is certainly the truth." Rebekah teased her older brother.

"Oh, that's not true." Klaus laughed. "You just didn't enjoy my extracurricular activities before now."

"My arse. You used to call murdering fun." Rebekah threw her blonde locks over her shoulder. "That dear brother was anything but fun."

"You did?" Merit asked nervously.

"Once upon a time, my dear. It's been a long while since then." He said soothingly. "My idea of fun has changed significantly since then." He kissed her on the nose as soon as she relaxed against his chest.

"Where are we going?" Merit asked excitedly.

"I want to go see the street painters!" Alison piped in. "Can we have our portraits done?!"

"If you'd like." Elijah smiled, stroking the cheek that his blonde little mate had rested against his thigh to look up at him with her pleading eyes and her lowering lip jutting out. It was comforting to see Elijah treating Alison the way her own Daddy treated her.

"I want one too!" Merit got a little excited about the idea of having a painting of her and Klaus done for their room. She pictured it hanging above the bed, her wrapped in his arms, her head resting on his chest much like right now or any other time they were simply relaxing together.

"Of course, sweetheart. Whatever you like." He beamed brilliantly at her enthusiasm. "I could always paint you again if you'd like."

"Yes, but I want one done of us together." She blushed a little.

"Sounds like we're in for a treat!" Rebekah chirped.

"Shall we?" Elijah asked, standing up with his hand extended towards Alison. "Go and put your crayons away, I'll hang onto these lovely drawings." He assured her as she glanced down at her drawings.