What an Odd Master

They get to a hotel and she gets ready to sleep on the floor but he stops her.

"You can sleep on the other bed," says the man.

"Are you sure?" asks Claire.

"Positive," says the man.

She is very hesitant but hits the bed.

"Are you hungry?"

Claire blinks thinking it is a trick question but nods.

"Are you allergic to anything?"

She shakes her head no, she honestly doesn't know but is willing to eat anything at this point. He heads down stairs to order room service. He comes back with some bread, fish, chicken, potatoes and corn. He also brings back some water to drink. She takes small bites not trusting the man, he takes some small bites from her plate to show that it is safe before eating his own food. She eats it but tries not to look like she is starving even though she is.

"My name is Alexander," says the man.

"Claire," says Claire.

"Claire, that's a beautiful name," says Alexander.

"Thank you," says Claire.

"Why are you in such rags?" asks Alexander.

"I would rather not talk about it," says Claire.

She turns over in her bed.

"Good night, Master Alexander," says Claire.

"Good night,Claire," says Alexander.

When Claire wakes up the next morning she wakes up to a note and her master is gone.

Note:

"I will be back in a couple of days. Only answer the door if they know my name or yours.

-Alex"

She flips the note over and over again confused on what he means by that. There was a knock at the door to draw her thoughts.

"Mrs. Claire? Room service," says a maid.

She opens the door slowly to find a maid with water and soap.

"I am here with some things to clean you up, do you need help ma'am?" asks the maid.

"Uh no I got it, thank you," says Claire.

"Very well, leave it outside when you are done someone will pick it up. Here is a stool as well," says the maid.

"Thank you," says Claire.

She takes the bucket, water, soap, and stool into the room. She strips out of what is left of her dress, sits on the bench, and starts using the soap and water to wash up. It has been a while since she had a proper shower. There is another knock at the door a few minutes later.

"Just a minute," says Claire.

"I have some towels, Mrs. Claire," says another maid.

"Oh thank you just leave them on the ground, I will get that and whatever else you bring me in a few minutes," says Claire.

"Yes ma'am," says the maid.

She starts washing her hair best she can before opening the door slightly. She takes the towels and blinks when she sees a bowl of oatmeal on a tray. She dries off, gets dressed before eating the oatmeal. She cleans up the room feeling out of sorts she doesn't touch Alexanders stuff not knowing if he would be okay with that. Around noon there is another knock at the door.

"Mr. Alexander?" asks a butler.

"Master Alexander is out for a couple days," says Claire.

"Then this meal must be for you," says the butler.

She blinks before answering the door there is a meal of steak and a baked potato.

"Oh...thank you," says Claire.

She takes it looking around shyly.

"I can't tip I am sorry.." says Claire.

"This has all been taken care of including the bath water, ma'am," says the butler.

"Oh..thank you sir," says Claire.

The butler nods before leaving, she eats up the food that was given to her getting confused. Her past two masters were never this nice to her. She had some friends in neighboring plantations that shared the same fate she did. She has never heard of a nice master before. She does enjoy the food before laying down for a nap. She never realized how tired she was until now. She actually sleeps until the next morning to another note.

Note:

"We were trying to wake you for dinner but you didn't answer, please come to the front desk to let us know that you are okay.

-Staff"

Claire turns red out of embarrassment she comes down telling the staff she is really sorry for any problems she has caused before going back to her room. She knows she will be punished for this which frightens her. She hears some storming up the stairs and the door opening, Alexander goes in and hugs Claire. Claire blinks before hugging back.

"M-Master?" asks Claire.

"A telegram came to me saying you weren't answering the door all night, are you alright?" asks Alexander.

"I am, I'm sorry I just slept all night I was so tired, I didn't mean to separate you from your work," says Claire.

"It's alright, we finished early, I have a present for you. I would have sent it ahead but I wanted to see your face," says Alexander.

"You don't have to get me anything, this is more than enough," says Claire.

"Nonsense, this is just food and a warm bath. One minute," says Alexander.

He produces a beautiful navy blue button up dress with white under cloth, and a lace white collar. It was the most beautiful dress Claire has ever seen.

"Master...I can't accept this it is too much," says Claire.

"Nonsense, you can't go around like that," says Alexander.

He hands her the dress before exiting the room to give her privacy to change. She gets dressed slowly in the new cloth it fit just right and flowed freely. She was shocked by how soft the fabric was. Claire tells Alexander that he can come in, he does smiling at her.

"Wow, it fits! I'm glad and you look wonderful in it," says Alexander.

"T-thank you," says Claire, turning red.

"It's not too tight is it?" asks Alexander.

"No, it fits just right, thank you," says Claire.

"Good! I really should have brought you to get it fitted, I apologize," says Alexander.

"No, it is okay it is very beautiful," says Claire.

"I'm glad you like it. I will be back feel free to sleep as long as you need," says Alexander.

"Alright.." says Claire.

"We will parture tomorrow morning," says Alexander.

She nods, he rubs her cheek gently before leaving again. Claire sits on the bed confused on what Alexander was up too. 

A/N: The photo is the dress that Claire is wearing and Alexander gave her.