The Past

"We did it! This is so beautiful, darling," says Claire.

"Only because of you, beautiful," says Alexander.

He kisses her making her blush she kisses him back happily.

"I want to take you out tonight somewhere special," says Alexander.

"Are you sure, every time we try we end up getting kicked out," says Claire.

"Not to a restaurant, love," says Alander.

She blinks not sure she heard him right.

"Love?" asks Claire.

"Yeah, I love you and I think it's time you meet my dad's mistress if that's alright," says Alexander. *

She smiles at that happily kissing his cheek, that day they pack up for the long journey it was going to be a four day trip. They enjoy camping so instead of packing for hotel rooms they decide to pack up to go camping for those three nights together. They stay together the whole time enjoying the scenery. On the third day though they hit a rock hard enough to lose a wheel. Claire screams but Alexander catches her. She freaks when he touches one of her scars under her chest. He backs up a little letting her calm down before hugging her close rocking her gently. They go looking for the wheel and take the rest of the night off trying to calm down from what happens. Unlike the past two nights, Claire doesn't let him touch her. Which confuses him on that but he doesn't push it knowing that pushing will make the situation worse. She gets cold but still wants to calm down, the next morning she gets up and kisses his cheek.

"I love you," says Claire.

He smiles kissing her cheek back happily.

"I love you too, come along love let's go find my father's house."

She smiles they clean up after making some fish for breakfast then heading out on the road. Claire hums a song explaining to Alexander that it was a song that her mother use to sing to her but she doesn't remember all the words. He smiles happily listening to her hum that song all the way there. When she sees the house she stairs wide eyed at the huge brick mansion in front of her. She looks into the field and notices a black woman in the field working up a sweat.

"Nattie? Do you need help out there?" calls Alexander.

"Alex! Come on over sweetheart, your father is in the apple orchard," says Nattie.

"Is he helping the other slaves?" asks Claire.

"Slaves, oh honey didn't Alex tell you we don't have slaves. We have paid workers though, I'm Nattie nice to meet you sweetheart," says Nattie.

"Nattie is my father's mistress," says Alexander.

He helps her pick some veggies taking them inside the house. Nattie comes over to Claire and explains that she is actually Alexander's step mother but there was some nosey neighbors trying to cause trouble. She nods deciding to help with the garden as there are workers already helping out in the orchard. Alexander explains that his family has been huge pear farmers for years. He explains that Alexander is going to be the next generation but he is working on selling the pears to small mom and pop shops along with bigger businesses as well. They spend the evening walking around the big orchard. Before Maxwell called for a family dinner including the maids. It was garlic skinned potatoes, chicken with some soup and a pear tartlet for dessert. Claire melts in her chair loving every bite of it she takes it in slowly wanting to savor every minute of this moment before looking over at Alexander. She is nervous for tonight as she wants to tell Alexander what she wanted to tell him.

"How was it?" asks Max.

"Oh, it's really good but what was the dessert?" asks Claire.

"It was a pear tartlet, I made it myself," says Max.