Decorating and a Connection

The next morning Claire found some paper and a pencil to write down a list of things that needed done including a new table as the table now was wobbling mess. She went into the living room inspecting the mantel and furniture that she put into the hallway. She noticed that each piece had been as neglected as the furniture in the cabin.

"Well this won't do at all, we should also get some pillows to lighten up the area," says Claire, to herself.

"Pillows?" asks Alexander.

"Yes to liven the area up and some flowers, Alexander. Oh! Curtains too! That would really liven up the place!"

He listens to her ramble off some things walking around the room it was almost like she was dancing around the room the way she was moving. Her smile alone lightened up the room, she went out to the hallway dancing around some more talking about some portraits and even having him do a self portrait as it is his house. They head up the stairs when she starts talking about flowers outside the main window and some curtains there as well. He just follows jotting down her ideas, he smiles watching her face light up with delight.

"Don't you think?"

"Huh? Sorry Claire, what did you say?"

"I said we should leave your room for last and I was wondering if you think that this should be a good time to stop while we are ahead going out into town to get everything."

"Oh yes, let's go."

"Alexander? Why is that bedroom locked?"

She points down to a lone bedroom on the other side of the room where there seems to be no light. It is the only room that looks marshley larger than the other three bedrooms and Alexander's room as well.

"That is my father's room, he has instructed me never to bother it so I respect his wishes, come now let's go. His mistress can let herself in," says Alexander.

"Mistress?"

"Actually my step-mother but I am not allowed to address her as such. Poor thing is so in love with him...it's sad."

"Why don't they wed if they are in love?"

"She is his slave, he never gave her freedom as I do you. He wants to give her freedom so they could freely go out but is afraid of being shunned."

Claire just nods knowing that this sounded like a tough subject for Alexander. She follows him downstairs to the foyer where he puts a hat on giving her his arm.

"Alexander?"

"I don't want you to think of this as a chore, think of it as a date."

"Aren't you afraid of what people would think?"

"I frankly don't give a damn what they say."

She could feel her heart race and her cheeks flush as she takes his arm. He smiles leading her into town there was some whispers but he just held her closer his arm wrapping around her waist going into town. He leads her to a nearby shop where he lets go of her arm warning her that they could get kicked out being seen like that. She nods in understanding going into the furniture store.

"Do you have guest a lot?"

"Yes, actually my father will be visiting next week with his mistress. My grandmother will be joining her to meet you."

"M-me?!"

"Yes, you. You don't have a twin sister do you?"

"No, it's just me. Why would they want to meet me?"