Ch. 7 ♡

Jamie's Point of View

"That's– no. No. We can't be friends if you do stuff like that."

Jack and I were sitting down in the park eating McDonald's. He was dipping his french fries in his ice cream– a deadly sin between savory and sweet food.

"It tastes good! Try it," He handed me an ice cream fry, taunting me with the disgusting scent.

"Stop!" I crossed my fingers to form the sign of the cross, "you just think it tastes good because of the ice cream!"

He laughed and ate the fry, then ate the ice cream before it melted. It's been three months since Jack and I have been dating? Or talking? I'm not sure– but three months since we've met and have been doing these Friday date nights. It was fine if he didn't ask me to be his official girlfriend, we knew we were each other's person.

Then again, I wouldn't mind if he did– it would be cute to have him ask me, but I was satisfied with what we had, I really liked him.

"Hey, Jamie," Jack picked up something from the ground to show me.

"What– EW!"

He picked up a dead beetle and started to chase me around the park.

"Just pick it up! It's dead anyways!" Jack yelled as he started to pick up his pace. I forgot how long legs helped you in running.

"NO! GET AWAY!" I tried to lose him, but he caught up and picked me up, throwing me over his shoulder– spinning us around.

"I'm gonna throw up!" I laughed as the nausea started. Instead of gently letting me down, he collapsed on the floor and we both were lying down– facing the night sky.

All we heard were the crickets in the park and the cars passing by us. Leavenworth was a small town, so we didn't have to worry about anything bad happening to us while we were here. I guess that's the only good thing here, since the town was so small you would get caught doing anything– everybody knows each other's business.

"Hey, Jamie–"

"Throw another dead bug and I'll kill you."

"I won't," He laughed and I brought my attention to his face, "I– I never got to ask you if you wanted to be.. together."

"Yeah, you never did."

We stared at each other– I was waiting for him to say something, but I think he was waiting me to say something too.

"So," I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh– uh," Jack started to stutter, "Would you like to be my girlfriend?"

I started to laugh– a nervous type of laugh because this was my first ever relationship. My stomach started to fill with butterflies as I said;

"No."

Jack sat up from his position, "what?"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," I sat up with him and grabbed his hands with mine, "I would like to be your girlfriend, Jack."

He sighed out of relief and pulled me into a hug, his chin resting on my neck, I wrapped his arms around his torso and we stayed like this for a little bit before heading home.