Hide and Seek

Prompt: Based on the events of the Witches Forest series by Sam and Colby: my rendition of the possible supernatural causes behind Colby's disappearance in the third instalment. 

"Yo, wait, wait, wait," Sam tries, stressed and hesitant as he whirls the camera around erratically, the three of them disbanding; splitting up whilst they're in the middle of the Witches Forest. At night. Without service. And all alone.

This isn't smart.

"Guys!" Corey shouts, annoyed and somewhat frustrated as he unenthusiastically tries to gather everyone back around their makeshift campsite. They should be trying to sleep or just trying not to jump out of their own skin in this haunted forest. Not trying to go catch shadow people.

Sam continues calling after Colby, who's begun to wander off into the forest all by himself. "Dude, dude, dude-"

"Bro this is-" Jake's cut off by Sam.

"Colby, one second. One sec, we gotta get him a-"

"He has a point though," Jake pipes up and Sam turns the camera to his friend, all three of them holding flashlights and nervously standing around. "Like, we're tryna-are we trying to catch ghosts tonight?"

Sam doesn't even have to think about his answer. "Yes, yes, yes, we are."

"I mean, if he just, if he feels like he just saw one-"

"Let's go!" Colby calls out from afar, both serious and slightly playful. 

"Can you stay here for two seconds?" Sam snaps, almost condescending as he, alongside Corey, tries to keep them all together. 

"Just, go." Corey finally relents, gesturing them along like a frustrated father. He's annoyed and by his body language, Sam can tell he's done with all of it, all of this madness. He shoves his hands into his sweater pockets and looks down, before looking back up at Sam, trying to relay 'be safe' in his expression. "Just go." 

"Okay," Sam says, following Jake as the three of them (Jake, Sam and Colby) head out into the woods. "Just don't let the embers out," Sam yells back at Corey, who stays around their fire. He's the only one who has sense in terms of staying together, staying in one spot around a fire, and staying ALIVE.

"You guys have thirty fucking seconds," Corey warns.

"Okay, okay, okay," Sam agrees, speeding up into a brisk jog to keep up the pace with Jake and Colby.

"I'm not joking!" Corey follows up.

"We're gonna stay on the path!" Sam says, trying to ease Corey whom he knows is the most panicked and nervous about this entire ordeal. If he can convince Corey they'll stay safe, then hopefully that will give Corey a chance to calm down and get out of his own head.

"D-dude it literally-it was on this path so it could've been like a biker or something," Colby says, somewhat panicked and slightly out of breath. "It started from here and it went BOOM, right behind Jake, super fast," Colby gestures with his hands down the path as Sam turns the camera to Jake, shifting the light.

"You think it was the dirt bike people?" Jake asks.

"Guys!" Corey shouts back from their campsite, which grabs Jake and Sam's attention. Sam turns the camera over and shouts back. "What?"

"How far are you going?" Corey calls out, approaching the path carrying his lantern, hesitant yet adamant as he approaches Sam and Jake. "Come on, yo. Bro!" 

"Yo, we'll be back," Jake says to Sam.

"Yeah, yeah," Sam agrees, and they continue down the path, ignoring Corey as they stray further and further away from their worried comrade.