Chapter 5 (the race)

A.J. POV

        I was at the garage the next day, begging Reece to let me tag along to his race.
       "Please, Reese Cup. Please, I want to watch and plus I helped get the car ready. Please, please, please." I was following him around the garage begging while he was still fixing his car.
       "A.J. I don't want you hang out with the crowd at the race. There not a good influence." He said getting the parts ready for when Slade gets here.
      "Then why do you hang out with them, huh?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest.
      "I...well....whatever. I don't want any of the guys bothering you, especially while I'm racing." We hear Slade's car pull up but ignore him.
     "Come on. I can handle myself please." I hear Slade walking up behind me, but I ignore him. I can't deal with him right now.
     "Fine, you can go." He says.
     "Yes!" I say throwing my hands up in victory.
     "But," Oh no. "you have to stick by me and Slade and while I'm in the car, you don't leave Slade's side." Oh h*ll no.
     "What!?" Slade and I yell at the same time. I turn and glare at him and he returns the gesture.
     "Yup or you're not going." Reece said with a smirk.
      "Fine." I huffed.
      "Great, now come on Slade. We gotta finish the part real quick." Slade and him finish fixing it. As they're fixing it I get a good look at Slade. The way he bit his lip and scrunched up his eyebrows when he was focused on something. It was kinda cute. Wait, what? No, it's not cute. What was I thinking?
     "Ok. You guys can follow me to the race." Reece said as the boys got in their cars and I got on my bike. Reece pulled out of the junkyard, with me behind him and Slade behind me. We pull up and follow Reece over to where he parked. I parked in between Reece and Slade because I know Reece would want me to.
     I hopped off my bike and see everyone staring at us. I guess Slade and Reece really are big deals around here. Slade and Reece come and stand on each side of me. Great, I have bodyguards now. I look around and Bennett, and he's looking directly at me. Sh*t! I put my head down and hope he didn't realize it was me.
    "Come on." Slade motions for us to follow him. We follow and he leads us up to the start line. Wow. I mean, I've raced, but never been to an actual street race. I stare in awe and see Reece and Slade smirk out of the corner of my eye.
     "Everything you thought it'd be?" Reece asked. I look over at him and smile like a kid on Christmas morning.
      "Hey, Campbell. We gonna race or you gonna stand here with your girlfriend." One guy yelled. I guess he's the guy Reece is racing. Reece looks at Slade and Slade gives him a nod. What was that about?
     "Let's race." Reece yells back. We walk over to Reece's car and get him ready.
      "Ok, you've got this. The motor is good and everything is runnin good." Slade said clapping him on the back.
       Reece turned to me and said, "Stay right next to Slade, alright? Don't leave his side."
       "Ok,  Reese cup. I won't." I say hugging him.
       "Again with the nickname." He groans and Slade and I chuckle.
       "You get our money." Slade said smiling at Reece.
       "You know it." Reece grinned before driving to the start line with us following.
        "Hey, earlier. When that guy yelled, you nodded to Reece. What did that mean?" I asked the question that's been begging me the last few minutes.
        "It's kinda like a way we say 'You got this' or 'I believe in ya'." Slade explained not even looking my way. I nodded and look over to see Bennett staring at me Slade followed my line of sight and bumped my shoulder, "Hey, don't worry bout him. I won't let him bother ya."
      I gave him a small smile. Oh,  if only you knew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/n: What did ya think about Reece and A.J.'s agreement?  Do you think it will bring A.J. and Slade closer? And what do ya think Bennett is going to do? Comment and vote. -❤