Chapter 10 (I promise)

A.J. POV

I woke up to a pain in my head and people talking. I look to my left and see my dad, Reece, and Slade all whispering. They didn't notice I had woke up so I listened to their conversation.
"Who would have wanted to hurt her?" My dad asked. I guess they figured out someone ran me off the road.
"I don't know, but I'm gonna find out." Reece said.
Slade nodded, "Yeah, whoever did this better hope the cops get him before I do, I mean....we do." He corrected himself. I looked at him and noticed how his black hair was sticking up and his eyes were....red? Like he had been crying, had he cried over me? No way, why would he cry over me, he doesn't like me. I'd be lying though if I said I didn't like him. Reece looked at him and smirked. My dad smiled at him. He looked uncomfortable, so I decided to help him.
"Hey, does anyone have any food?  I'm starving." I said and they all turned to me. My dad ran over and hugged me like if he let go, I'd disappear.
"Oh thank goddess. I was so worried. How are you feeling?  Does anything hurt? Do you need the doctor?" My dad asked frantically.
"What I need is some food." I said chuckling.
"What did I tell ya?" Reece said walking over to hug me. "I'm glad you're ok."
"Me too." Dad and Reece went to get the doctor. Which left me and Slade. Alone.
"Thanks for being here. If you want to leave you can." I said looking up at him.
He sat at the end of my bed and put his hand on my leg, "I'm not going anywhere."
Reece walks back in, "Yeah, why would he leave?  He was the first one here, he beat me and your dad."
"Really?" I asked. He looked down and nodded. I put my hand on his, "Thank you." He smiled and nodded. Reece stood there smiling, looking between us.
The doctor walked in with my dad, "Hi, Avery. I'm happy to see you awake and smiling. Now, you do have some cracked ribs, but we can give you something for the pain. Your shoulder should be fine in two weeks. We'll be able to take the stitches out in two days. It will leave a scar, so if you want plastic surgery we can-" I cut him off.
"I don't want the surgery. I'll be fine with the scar." He nodded and said to call if we needed anything. I turned back to the guys and clapped my hands, "So where's the food?" They all chuckled before handing me some Chinese food. We sat around eating and laughing, but it didn't last as long as we wanted.
Two police officers walk in. One turns to me and starts talking, "Hi, Miss. Jensen, I'm officer Clark and this is my partner officer Johnson. We would like to ask you some questions." I nod for him to continue. "Do you remember anything before the crash?"
"Yeah I remember a big a** truck running me off the road and then leaving me there to die. Ya gotta find this guy." I answer and they both nod.
"Do you know who it could be?" I glance at Slade and Reece, they slowly shake their heads telling me not to say anything. I can't believe I'm doing this.
"No, I have no idea."
"Ok, that will be all. We might need to ask you some more later." They left ,I look at Reece and Slade. They avoid my eyes, focusing on their food.
"Dad, can you go home and get me something more comfortable?" I asked looking over at my dad.
"Yes sweetie, I'll be back. Reece, can I get your keys?" He asked kissing the top of my head. Reece gives him the keys and then he leaves. As soon as the door closes, I turn to the boys.
"Ya mind telling me why you just had me lie to the cops?" I ask.
"Relax, A.J. We have an idea who it is-" Reece starts but I cut him off.
"Yeah, I do too. I'm almost positive it's him, which is why I should have told the cops." I whisper/yell. I don't want the entire hospital to hear this conversation, I don't even want to be having this conversation.
"We're gonna handle it ok?" Slade says trying to comfort me.
"Whatever it is better be worth it. I just lied to the cops, do you know how much trouble I could be in?"
"Well, if you had told them how are you going to explain that Bennett ran ya off the road, because you embarrassed him in illegal street racing?"
"Fine, ya have a point just, be careful whatever ya do." They nod as they stand up. "Where are ya goin?"
"To find him. We'll be back, I promise. Get better." Reece says kissing my forehead. He walks out of the room, leaving me and Slade.
"We'll be back. Don't worry about us, we'll be fine." Slade said turning to walk away. I grab his hand, he stops and turns around.
"Just I promise you'll come back. Promise, you won't get hurt. Promise, you'll come back to me unharmed and safe." He looks down at my hand still in his, and slowly raises his head to look me in the eye. His eyes show some emotion, but I don't know what.
He leans down and kisses my forehead. "I promise." He whispers. He slowly walks backwards to the door, our eyes never leaving each other. When he gets to the door he quickly turns around and leaves the room. I lean my head back and close my eyes. I've got a bad feeling that something bad us gonna happen. I wish I had told him I loved him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/n: Hey y'all. What did you think? She finally admits she loves him. What do you think Reece and Slade will do? Comment and vote-<3