Top of them

David

Am I nervous?
Maybe a little too much.

My hands were sweating and my lip already had a wound from so much that I was biting it.
Matt hits me in the head.

"Hey, take it easy David. You're ready."

"I-I guess..."

Everyone was very anxious, that was remarkable.
Some were still practicing dialogues, doing breathing exercises, others slapping each other... everything 'under control'.

At last Mr. Brown comes, and next to him, Dalia.

The two clubs separated, them on the left and us on the right.

"Very good boys and girls. Today is the day. I'm very proud of—"

"You, my students, are the best!" Dalia doesn't respect and raises both thumbs in approval.
The left side screams happily.

Our teacher just shrugs his shoulders.

"Now all of you go to dressing rooms and wait your turn."
.
.
.

The minutes went by, as did all the aspirants. According to my accounts, I would be one of the last.

Alan, James and Matt had already passed. They would've told me how they did, but they weren't allowed to go back to dressing rooms.

And that's how I ended up alone, with no more than five other people waiting.

Including him.
Adam Salder.

It didn't take long for Salder to realize that I was looking at him. He approaches with an air of superiority.

"David Williams, glad to see you."

"Adam, how are you?" I smiled falsely.

"Just like me, I heard that you want Castiel's character."

"Oh yeah"

"And tell me, how is a faggot like you going to play a straight man?"

I held his gaze. I was tired of him making me feel bad "I don't know. Better why don't you tell me how a motherfucker like you will play a good man?"

Wow, that feels good.

Adam couldn't add anything else because he was called upon to present. He resigns himself to showing me the middle finger and leaves.

At one time, Adam and I were good friends. But as an idiot I fell in love and dared to confess it.
Bad, terrible idea.

I didn't stop thinking about it when, finally, the pinnacle of my day came: I was called.

"Come on, you can..." I say to myself in a low voice and go out onto the stage, standing in the middle.

I noticed my friends in the audience (which wasn't small). They greeted me cheerfully, Alesha and Alan sending me kisses.

Now I look at the judges.
There was Mr. Carrey, as every year, with his faithful companion Smith.
My gaze went more to the right and I had to blink several times to make sure I saw well: a guy, young like me.

Who was he?

"Hello, David" Jim smiles at me.

"H-Hi"

"Yes, we're all surprised by the new one. He is—"

"Simon Cowell. Pleasure to meet you David" smiles kindly.

My mind goes blank.

In my short life I had seen very handsome men.
Now he was on top of them.

I must've an idiot face, because he laughs a little. I felt my face fill with warmth "Same, same as me"

He watches me for a few more moments and because of the shame, I break the eye contact looking down.

Smith follows the talk.

"You're for Castiel, right?" I nodded, "I'd like you to do something from the second act—."

"How about doing some improvisation?" Simon raises his voice, catching everyone's attention. "Here, in the notes, he is widely recommended. Let's check it out".

"Are you crazy? Why do you want him to improvise if there's a script?" Smith replies.

"Improvisation reveals more talent than following the script."

"Little man Cowell, I remind you of your position. You're not qualified to make a big deal out of what you say."

A strange atmosphere fills the auditorium. Cowell surrenders and stares at the desk.

"You... start when you're ready" Carrey conforts me.

"Thank you sir"

I quickly connected glances with Matt.
He, from his place, understood right away and gestures at me with his hands, encouraging me to do so.

I clear my throat and start with the monologue of act two.